2000 6.0l LQ4 in 1992 Wrangler YJ Suggestions

1992yj

Well Im going to go with what I have sitting in my garage floor. The 2000 6.0.
I have the ECM Wire harness and a 4L60e transmission. This engine originally came with a 4L80E so I have to figure out if/how to get it working;)
any tips?

Any good company's for reprogramming and maybe rewiring harness for this application?

The jeep would need to be California Smog Legal:p

Any Help Much Appreciated:idea:

Painful Wiring would be expensive. Besides, he's gotta have the computer flashed also.
I have a Jeep CJ body on a YJ frame with the 5.3 Vortec which is a Gen III like yours. Though the cubes are different, the install is the same. So here goes:
Contact Jesse Bubb through this website for your harness modification and reprogramming your computer. He has done 6 harnesses and ECM's for me and my buddies and all have worked flawlessly. Wait4Me Performance Tell him your requirements for smog legal and that you will be running the 4L60e. He can also performance tune the computer. You will need him to turn of the VATS (vehicle anti-theft system), but he'll know that if you tell him it's going in a Jeep. The harness and computer will come back to you with about 5 or 6 wires to hook up and that is all. It will probably be in the nieghborhood of $400 for programming and harness modification.
Now for some install notes from my build:
It may be a tight fit for your exhaust manifolds between the firewall and frame. I have a 1.5" body lift so it wasn't an issue. Just telling you this so you know that it can be done with the factory manifolds.
Your oil pan holds 6 quarts and hangs down pretty dang low. If this is a concern to you after the install, then you can purchase an Camaro LS1 pan, gasket, pump suction tube, dipstick and tube from GM for about $250. It is a 5 quart pan but is 3.75 inches shallower (level with the transmission pan).
Next is a fitment issue you need to look at when mounting the engine. The 6.0 has a taller intake than the rest of the Gen III's. Check your hood clearance before setting the mounts. It should work because I have seen them in CJ's before. I believe any other Gen III intake would work, but will not have as much torque.
Next is cooling. I'm running a 3 row CJ radiator that was for any V8 CJ. I have my transmission plumbed through the radiator with no cooling issues. You will have to get creative with the radiator hoses and heater hoses unless you buy an aftermarket radiator made for this swap. PM me later if you want more details about the plumbing. You will have to ditch the mechanical fan. The electric fan I used is from a Ford Focus and fits perfectly. It keeps the engine at 190 in the summer.
The gauge hookups all depend on what type you plan to use. I use an electric temp gauge and was able to find a $10 Autometer adapter and sending unit that utilizes the allen head plugged port on the passenger side head. The sending unit for the ECM is in the same port on the driver head and must remain there. I use a mechanical oil pressure gauge and was able to tap the oval shaped housing down by the oil filter with an NPT tap to install the tubing.
Are you going to make the motor and transmission mounts or purchase them from Advance Adapter?

Thanks for your help. I just called and spoke with wait4meperformance, sent the gentleman the info. on my application. He was very friendly and helpful.
Happy about that.

I had actually seen your post previously when i was doing research very good info.

here is a pic of the jeep:
123my3c-1.jpg

It has a 3" body lift from my younger days(yeah bad Idea, I was 17 at the time):hide:

I was planning on returning to stock body height. But I guess your saying that I might need an 1"?

I total suspension height is 4" springs and about 1"shakle. Not sure if oil pan would be in danger?

I want to do a spring over, but still looking for some 1 ton axles or may go with 44's if cant find any for decent price.

I m ordering a SYE from AA or Similar. That way I can probably tuck in the Skid Plate.:)

Motor Mounts I want to go with the NEW Novak ones also may also do their Tran/T-Case adapter for the NP231.

Radiator, well I was looking at ebay and there is this: Radiator for Jeep Wrangler with Large CID/High HP GM Chevy/Chryslers
Price looks good but not sure

Just some of the stuff I was thinking about let me know if any suggestions.

Mine was actually $325 for the harness and programming and $100 for an ECM I purchased from him. That was 2 years ago.

Mine is an 1.5" body lift (3" pucks cut in half), but I wouldn't remove the BL until you test fit the engine.

BTW...was cuttin donuts this weekend with the 5.3 tached out and had all the boys with 258's jealous. Good stuff.

Back