Rock Sliders / Steps

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking for a pair of rock sliders that look cool, but offer a step for the wife. I don't really like the look of traditional 3" nerf bars, and have found these from Rugged Ridge:

yhst98407475347645_1986_4117791-1.jpg

What else is out there that wouldn't requre me to drill holes in the body?

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, loosing ground clearence is something I don't want. The sliders that currupt has a link to is what I'm going to build for my jeep when I get the time. My wife doesn't like my jeep right now since I took the dumb nerf bars off.

:agree: I would have those kind of nerf bars on my Jeep if I were running 42-44 inch tires they offer great protection!

Terry, I think olympic 4x4 makes ones similar to the pic you posted, but they can be taken off, flipped up or down so you don't loose clearance off road.

Last edited:

If you hit a link to my web page you can see I have a set just like them, but I made mine with a little bit heavier tubing. The biggest problem is that rocks still slide in between them and hit the tub. I had to go with a set of rocker knockers to hide one bad hit from the wife, I would recommend that you all take a look at something along the lines like Poison Spyders Rocker Knockers A step and a rocker knocker built in.

I looked up the olympic ones, and I really like them. They just sandwich on the frame (no drilling, which I like). I may order the cheaper ones.

Cheap version:
1514lg-1.jpg

and the expensive ones:
19227lg-1.jpg

I don't think I'll give up too much ground clearance with these (with the loop up that is). I'll probably run with the loop down around town (to keep Erin happy).

Olympic 4x4 Products :: Bumpers, Protection & Racks for Your Jeephttp://www.quadratec.com/products/13116_80_07.htm

Any good bit of weight on that thing and it's gonna bend, and then contact your tub, and then your tub is gonna bend.

If your going to ride with the step down for the wife, looks like you would be better with the more expensive ones. They have two bolts you remove to flip it over.
The Poison Spyder's are cool, but I don' think I would want to drill a ton of holes in good body either.

I simply made mine out of 6x6 3/16 angle iron and welded some 1.5 hrew on as a step/bashing rail.

Grant it that was 4 years ago, but I paid less than $100 for materials. if you can't weld, I am sure a local shop can do it for you pretty cheap.

I also just spray painted them cause here in the north east, powder coat ain't worth crap.

Red has pretty much read my mind on this one. I like the poison spyders, but I think the step is probably to high for her still, and I don't want to drill holes in my body.

At first I didn't want to drill into a good tub either. But that area is a weak point and even a small hit can make it so the door will not open nor close.
The 1/4 steel I used strengthen my tub and has made it bullet proof...(ok guys I know you all can shoot thought it ...it was a figure of speech!)

The five holes a side required was a sacrifice for strength. Your going to hit your jeep there any way you might as well get a re-paint-able surface in place before you mangle the flimsy stock sheet-metal.

I'll have to agree with the strengthening of the tub. I know a CJ will fold at the lower front corners of the tub if you take a good hit from the front or rear. I have some pretty good wrinkles in that area. I was not aware this was an issue on the TJ though.

well, I went ahead and bought the rapid reverse steps (the more expensive ones). I'll post some photos when they get here. I'm sure they won't protect as well as the bolt on sliders, but I think they are better suited for what I want.

Just an FYI, Terry. The ones I put on my TJ (can't recall the brand now, it's been so long) had a similar mount to the ones you pictured. Just watch out for the brake lines...........had to do a little "shifting" to my brake lines to clear the mounting bracket. That was 5 years ago and I don't have any stopping issues, so I guess everything's alright!!

Any good bit of weight on that thing and it's gonna bend, and then contact your tub, and then your tub is gonna bend.

Get a good bit of weight rock slider or not your tub will bend unless you buy a set of 500 dollar sliders. Just a point to ponder.

All depends on what you are using the jeep for. All out body slamming off road or your normal DD/ Trail hopper.

I have had a pair of those Olympic "Reverse-a-bars" (the heavy duty more expensive ones) for a few years. I put them on to protect against minor stuff and as a step for my wife. They are OK for trail riding, working in the woods, etc. and my wife loves the step (I even installed them pointing UP for max clearance). They seem to be strong enough for moderate contact with trees, boulders, cars, etc. but they are not for serious rock crawling where you might come down hard on them. Stuff sometimes gets caught on the ends (like branches and brush) . I did have to slightly move a brakeline support to install them but no big deal. The bars fit very well to the frame. The Massachusetts overkill road salt program (where they pave all roads with salt for six months per year) has caused the bars to rust in places, mostly around the frame brackets. I did not want to drill the (then) brand new body so I opted for these, for now. Someday I'll probably get (or make) some sliders, just in case. Best of luck - John

I'm already running the poison spyder rocker knockers with a bar but with 8.5" susp lift and >37" tires this thread got me thinking about ways to fab up "around the town steps that would bolt to the frame and go under the sliders..... hmmmm... might have a project for my week off.

Also, it sounds like there is a common denominator. Maybe we all just need to modify something else and get a girlfriend with longer legs.... ;-) unless "she" was just an excuse.

Back