New Brakes for the YJ

YJBLUE

My 1988 YJ needs new brake pads and rotors. I'll probably change the brake hoses too (fronts and rear). Can anyone recommend a good brand based on their experience? I live near a Napa and an AutoZone. Are these ok? Should I go with something better? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks......

Can't really help you with brands (got my last set from Advance Auto Parts), but the next time I replace mine, I'm going with ceramic pads..........I've had it with tryin' to keep up with cleaning all that brake dust.:evil:

That was my next question. Are ceramic pads better than the semi-metallic? If so, why?

Folks have told me that they don't stop as well (?:shock: ?), but when the time comes, I'm going to find out for myself!!! I know they're more expensive, but so be it!!! I mean, I can put out a few more bucks every 50K miles...............even as cheap as I am!!! Perhaps someone on here will gives us some "more experienced" input................Curious minds want to know!:lol: :lol:

ceramics suuuck. Ya you get no brake dust but there hard as hell and like to eat rotors and imo don't stop as good as semi-met. I switched back.

ceramics suuuck. Ya you get no brake dust but there hard as hell and like to eat rotors and imo don't stop as good as semi-met. I switched back.

Good to know! That's what I'd heard........more of the "eatin' rotors" thing that the stopping issue......................That's one vote against...........a few more and I might change my thinking (and my wheel cleaning schedule :evil: :evil: )

i put ceramic pads on the front at the same time as my rotors. I will never use ceramics again. I got them at pep boys for like $10 when they screwed up the system once and i bought two sets. i installed one and the other will never be used. when i do decide to redo my brakes i will use drilled rotors and either Hawk performance or EBC pads. i have had experience with both on my 01 civic and they are both awesome compared to the ceramics. I do tend to lean towards the EBC over Hawk but that is just preference.

Ceramics were stock on my 00 XJ, and I have kept using them. They work well for me and don't eat my rotors.

Thanks all.
Okay, it sounds like the edge goes to semi-metallic (slightly). But is one 'noisier' than the other? I hate the sound some brakes make, even though there's nothing wrong with them. Which one is quieter?

Back