Speedometer hook up 2004 in an '89??

60 Biscayne

We're not done yet! I still need help!
I have an article that was done a few years back on another Jeep website relative to doing a 4.0 OBD II swap into a YJ etc...... in it they call out using a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) & adapter from a 91 Wrangler and they even list P/N's and the old speedometer head works with the new trans etc..........
I don't have a '91 Wrangler donor car laying around so I called over to the NAPA Store & yep they have a listing. The only problem its like $90 & I figure somebody has come up against this situation and has figured out a cheaper way!
I'll count the poles as I speed past them before I lay out $90 to square away a speedometer cable problem!

The electronic speed sensor from a '96+ will bolt right in to your transfer case in place of the mechanical sender. I may have one laying around. Does this help or am I misunderstanding what you need?

I don't have the article in front of me right now, it's over at the garage. Anyway, I have a 2004 Engine, trans & transfer case that we're putting in a 89 Wrangler.
The speedometer drive on the new setup is electronic, like you said 96 & up etc. I have this........ The speedometer head in the 89 is driven by a cable thus they are not in sync with each other.
According to the article, he used a Part # (which I have at the garage) & Part # (the other one which I also have at the garage) out of a 1991 Wrangler, I believe he called them a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor & an Adapter.
I called over to NAPA and they said they have a listing & could get it but it ran about $90 - I figure there's gotta be a cheaper way? Maybe?
What do other guys do???? Thanks, Jim

So you're wanting to retain your cable driven speedo AND send an electronic speed sensor signal to the engine computer?

A '91 may have the parts you need, that's around the time they switched from cable speedos to electronic, but I know of no other way than to get the adapters.

Another option would be to get an electronic speedo from a '91-'95 YJ and do away with the cable completely.

I have an article that was done a few years back on another Jeep website relative to doing a 4.0 OBD II swap into a YJ etc......
Wait, there are other Jeep websites? I must investigate this!8)

Back