Fuel Gauge ??? or Fuel Sender ???

60 Biscayne

Next!
I'm doing away with the stock Wrangler instrument gauges and going with a New Look. I've planed a piece of redwood to 1/4" thick & I'm mounting all new individual gauges on it. The Oil & Temp are to be mechanical but I have to keep the original 2004 engines senders in place which send info to the computer. I have no problem with this arrangement & can use a tee to hook up the mechanical Oil fittting / tube & I've fabricated a neat tee arrangement to install the temp sender into the heater hose. I bought the Amp gauge to match. The fuel gauge in my '89 Wrangler never really worked correctly (I believe) & I'd like to keep things in sync.
Does anyone have the info on what the ohm readings on the stock fuel sender are?
Has anybody just hooked up a new aftermarket Fuel gauge with the old sender? Does it work? Kinda Sorta Maybe???
To install the sender they say you require in the tank right now is a big tado for me.
Any words of wisdom will be apprechiated!
Thanks Jim
Anyway, I'd really like

well in my 88 yj i hooked up an electric gauge to my pink wire comeing from the plug in the back of the panel. get a wireing diagram and trace out the wire to the fuel gauge. if your doing a whole new set of gauges just cut the wire for the sending unit behind the plug in the dash. tap into it and wire in your new guage. hope this helps

oh one last thing make sure you get the right gauge meaning the resistance from the sending unit could read 0 to 80 ohms so you would a gauge that reads 0 ohms empty and 80 ohms when it is full. this is just an example yours might be different

That's what I wany to know.... What is the specs (ohm range) on an 89 Wrangler?
Full should be ???
Empty should be ???
You would think that 1/2 tank would be half of full & empty

Hello. Same as 60 Biscayne I replaced my Wrangler 90 6 cyl factory gages and replaced them with Autometer gages (electrical). Once the electromechanical tech installed them, he adviced me that the fuel sender need to be replaced. I already did it (With a new Mopar ) but the gage does not read. Any hint?

Did you ever figure out the question?
I'm looking to install a aftermarket fuel gauge and I'm wondering the same thing about the ohms

Empty: 0 Ohms
Full: 90 ohms

I used the autometer model 2514 with the original fuel sender. 4wd Hardware work the replacement for the gauge & sender and it is less expensive. Good Luck!

Back