Price check!

mercab18

I recently installed a 2" coil spacer lift with new shocks. When I went to put the rear shocks on, one of the bolts on the top broke, so I decided to abandon the cause and let someone else take care of it. I want to install a brand new factory skid plate, remove my old rear shocks (with one of the bolt heads being broken), and install my new shocks.

I went to a place and they gave me an estimate. They told me it would be $602 including tax, labor, and parts. I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this. I've been looking online and I figure the new skid plate costs about $120, so they're charging me $480 to put everything in.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know what the cost would be to install a skid plate but that really seems high to me. I would definately go somewhere else and get another opinion if at all possible.

Just drill the bolt out yourself and save the money for more parts for the jeep.It is all part of it, might as well get used to it now.

Just drill the bolt out yourself and save the money for more parts for the jeep.It is all part of it, might as well get used to it now.

He's talking about the rear shocks, and I'm assuming he means the top bolt - those things are pretty tight up there.

Attachments

• rear_shock_jeep_wrangler_coil_suspension_lift.JPG
    rear_shock_jeep_wrangler_coil_suspension_lift.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 58
I know what he is talkin about , i had to do 2 on mine . Just drill it out and re-tap . Not hard to do and will cost less than 10 bucks. If he wants to pay for it more power to him. I just hate paying people to do something i can do myself.

Ok, I understand the part about getting some help with the broken shock bolt.
But, why would you want to replace a factory skid plate? Moreover, why would you pay someone to replace your skidplate? It's so easy a cave man can do it.
Skid plates are made to get scratched and dented. Unless it is totally fubared and messing up your transfer case mount, I don't see the point in changing it.

The reason I'm changing it is because it's really rusty and chipping off. On both the passenger and driver side of the truck, the skid plate is missing a lot of material, and there's a big crack right down the center. 10 years of upstate New York winters will do that to ya. I made a picture that showed it at the bottom.

Also, I realize that it's easy to re-drill and tap the broken bolt. The part that I don't have the resources to do is taking off the skid plate, which involves removing the fuel tank. I do not have any tool that will hold up a 15 gallon gas tank.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 141
Makes sense to me. While I may have the knowledge and may even have the tools to do some things, there are times when I would much rather spend the money to have something done than to waste a whole day trying to figure it out. My time on the weekends is valuable and there are other things I'd rather be doing. Let's not always give people a hard time when they want to pay to have something done just because you know how to do it yourself. Not everyone WANTS to do it themselves. :)

The reason I'm changing it is because it's really rusty and chipping off. On both the passenger and driver side of the truck, the skid plate is missing a lot of material, and there's a big crack right down the center. 10 years of upstate New York winters will do that to ya. I made a picture that showed it at the bottom.

Also, I realize that it's easy to re-drill and tap the broken bolt. The part that I don't have the resources to do is taking off the skid plate, which involves removing the fuel tank. I do not have any tool that will hold up a 15 gallon gas tank.

I assume your talking about the gas tank skid? Drive around till your almost empty, tank only weights a couple pounds. replace it with something like a warn or kilby tank skid, even if you never offroad, it will take thousands and thousands of years to rot through the 3/16 steel.

also, drill out the bolts and replce them with bar pin eliminators and then you will never have to worry about it again.

Back