From bad to worse

Sully

Recently I changed the spark plugs on my 99' TJ because it was hesitating and running rough. It ran great for about a week then it started running rough again and it was having a hard time starting. I'd have to crank it for a while. Well I didnt drive it for a few days and now it wont start. Any ideas?

How'd the plugs look when you took them out?? Look like they'd been fouling? Did you change out the wires, too? Maybe a bad coil pack??
Just throwing out some ideas.....thinking of things, other than plugs, that would've caused the hesitation/running rough. The dang computers make 'em a whole lot harder to diagnose. Dang O2 sensors cause fits, too, but I can't imagine them causing a "no-start".

Hope it's something simple........................someone's bound to be more helpful than me.

Is the check engine light on? I'd have it checked for a code.

My bet is the throttle position sensor (TPS) or crank position sensor (CPS).

Took it to pep boys for the code, they said they didnt know what it was and wouldnt give me the code for some reason. Told me to take it to the dealer. To make things even better the saturn I have been driving sucked a valve on the way home tonight. Now I have to drive a jeep that only works when it wants to and I have two cars to fi. :x

Some time ago I found and bought a code reader that was compatible with the Jeep's OBDI (along with Ford, Chrysler, and GM, if I remember correctly, and all of the OBDII) and it has been very helpful. Price was not excessive, and it sure is a lot easier to read than counting the CEL with the strange timing it has... Maybe you can look one up on eBay or something.

Just judging by the symptoms I would look at fuel deliver or secondary ignition. You may have a few injectors leaking which could foul out the plugs or faulty secondary components, cap and wires.

any luck on this yet? iv heard of a few problems like this the codes were cam shaft or crank shaft sensor related and they were signal problems the one that i looked had a bad distributor. it would fire sometimes stall hesitate backfire etc.... well we pulled the distributor and the shaft gear was all banged up so intermitantly it would not get cam signals and also throw crank signal faults. might wanna check that if you havent figured it out yet if u did im interested in knowing what it was.... good luck

Back