Jeep Rubicon's

big_o_tom

Anyone have a TJ or JK Rubicon? If you have one, do you take it off-road? I have a 78' CJ-7 and before that I had a 98' wrangler. I'm kind a getting the bug to get another wrangler and if I get one it's got to be the Rubicon. But, for the price of 30k+ a new loded out silverado or gmc would be the more pratical choice. Are the factory lockers good unit's? Is the 4-1 x-case to slow?

Practical smachktical, get the one that you will be happy with down the road hmmmm...JEEP!! I was in the same boat as you back in 2002 i chose the Rubicon. I only get to go on off road trips about three times a year, but i go rock-crawling ,mudding, and play on the dunes, with 35's and I've never had a problem with my air lockers. As far as the 4to1, it is a little low for my taste in the sand other than that i love it! JMO Droopey

The Jeep Rubicon is great offroad as-is. I'd say you'll have alot more fun in a Jeep Wrangler than a work truck.

I upgraded last October from my TJ Sport to an 05 Rubicon and love it. It was geared a bit low at first, but a 4inch lift and 33s fixed it. Personally, I dislike the look and snow performance of 33 12.5s, so I went with 285 75 r16s which are basically similary to a 33 10.5 but are much easier to find. I think the stance and performance are awesome. My lift had a T case lowering kit and I am unhappy with the shifter and how close it comes to the console on the inside and after trimming it and botching it, I am saving for a CV drive shaft and will then take the T case lowering kit out and put the T case back where it belongs, an inch higher. Then I'll buy a new front console to fix the trimming mess I created.

Regarding TJ vs JK, I'm a fan of the TJ and had to seriously consider a 1 yr old TJ or a new JK with lifetime warranty. I plan on keeping this one forever, so the lifetime warranty is very appealing. However, the 300 6 is bulletproof and there are parts everywhere from Alaska to South America if needed, and this engine has proven itself time and time again. I like the TJ because it's narrower and fill fit on smaller trails, it also looks more like a CJ to me. Good luck on your quest, and let us know what you decide! Cheers!

Back