clicking noise and hard turning when front hubs locked

allabs5150

Hey guys hope ya can help me outjust picked up a 79 CJ7 258ci, its got the 4 speed transmission with 1st a low granny gear, i think its the T-18 right wrong?????

Anyway its got superwinch hubs on it when i lock them in i get a loud clicking sound not constant and at times it hard to turn the steering thats without the jeep being put into 4H or 4L. Once I heard the noise and the few times i tried to turn and the steering seemed to wanna lock up i did'nt want to take her outta 2H.

The clicking sound comes and goes so does the steering problem its almost feel like what you would get with a car running low on powers steering fluid, one second you can barely turn the wheel and the suddenly it turns freely.

What do you make of it????? Could the hubs need replacing or is it something that gonna reaffirm what J.E.E.P stands for.

J---JUST

E--EMPTY

E--EVERY

P--POCKET
image-missing.png

ANY HELP OR IDEAS IS APPRICIATED[addsig]

maybe one of ya front u joints is binding. turn the wheel and see if ya can TAP it lightly with a hammer and spray with some penetrant.[addsig]

ya jeepmaster was thinkin about the u-joint after i posted, but would that casue it to occure only when the hubs are locked?[addsig]

does it click when you've got it turned all the way? cause i think all 4 wheel drive vehicles do that when they're cranked. i was taught to turn gradually due to that fact.[addsig]

It definitely sounds like a u-joint and sense they're only

20 bucks apiece id get a new one. Replace it soon

or you might end up blowing out your hub.[addsig]

Jack up the front end and turn the drive shaft back and forth by hand. With the weight off the tires you should be able to tell if the U-joint is bad. Sometimes it's best to stop the tire from moving with your other hand or a foot and just turn it a little. There should be no play at all in a U-joint

ECOR

darrin@eastcoastoffroad.com

[addsig]

OK i will check the U-Joint....but dont you think it would do that when the all the time not only when the hubs are turned????[addsig]

Back