Carburator cold-start problem solved!!! And i feel like such

chinard

Okay, I've posted about this before, but its been a while so i'll recap...

A while ago up upgraded the crappy carter 2bbl carb on my 258 to a weber 2bbl because it was sooo old it wasnt worth repairing, and i needed a bit more OOMPH, and didnt feel like blowing 2 grand on a fuel injection retrofit.

Since the upgrade performance has been great, except cold starts have been VERY rough...

it would usually take about 3 or 4 times before it would ignite, then it would pop, sputter, and backfire until the engine had warmed up.

I was doing some research the other day on common carburator problems involving backfiring on startup and i found this recommendation from somewhere (i forgot to write down the location or bookmark the page)

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

Q: When I start my car it backfires, why?

A: There are many reasons why a engine will backfire but the most common problem with blown motors is holding the throttle open while cranking the engine over. It is better to give the throttle a few pumps (2), and take your foot off the accelerator before turning the engine over and count slowly to ten. When the engine does fire and begin to run, quickly catch the throttle and raise the engine idle at about 2000 RPM until some heat can be built in the motor, about two minutes. Trying to engage the engine before enough heat is built usually results in an engine that spits, sputters, backfires, an/or dies.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, this makes sense to me, as i've only diven fuel injected cars before i bought this jeep so i gave it a try, and holy shit! It starts RIGHT up without popping, spitting or backfiring!!!

I guess i've been unknowingly flooding the engine every time i've been starting it since i bought the jeep
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Anyways... If you've been having carb problems, just try this first before messing around with the settings on your carb. You'll be surprised how such a simple thing can make such a big difference!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Good work man. free and easy fixes are always the ones that get the biggest sigh of relief
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back