Gas leak 91 YJ

TwistedCU

Okay so I am finally going to fix my Jeep. I can't take it anymore.

It spews out gasoline from above the tank as soon as it is started, and doesn't stop until it's shut off. I have been told by a co worker that used to be a Jeep mechanic that there was a recall for the gasket between the tank and the sending unit.

The Jeep is 17 years old and I'm thinking about just buying a whole new setup and just dropping out the old and installing a new one that I would pre-assemble beforehand. Might as well take care of it all while it's apart as I don't want to do it again in a year.

So, what do I need??? Tank, sending unit, gasket? Can anyoine throw me a parts list together or provide me with a link?

Any suggestions where to order it all from?

It's a 91 4.0L fuel injected YJ.

For a 20 gallon tank, the sending unit and fuel pump can be bought as one assembly (the pump is able to be removed from the sending unit). For that assembly you're looking at $200 from Quadratec: Fuel Pump and Sending Unit Assembly for 91-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ with 4.0L & 20 Gallon Fuel Tank - Quadratec, or over $350 from a dealership. When I replaced the sending unit gasket, it was a dealer-only part, roughly $11. Q-tec sells a 20-gallon tank skid plate at $150, but no tank: Warrior Products Gas Tank Skid Plate for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ with 20-Gallon Gas Tank - Quadratec. I've checked my bookmarked list of parts vendors and cannot find one with a new or used fuel tank for a 1991 YJ. It's a fairly simple process to remove/install the sending unit/pump and gasket. The tricky part is getting the tank in and out.

You might also consider replacing the flexible (rubber) fuel lines that attach to the top of the sending unit and the hard fuel lines on the chassis. You should be able to go to most any hardware store and get rubber hose in the length and diameter you need.

I had an issue with fuel leaking and it was due to, first off, the gasket being bad, and then the hose clamps at the top of the sending unit not being tight enough. The loose hose clamps were my fault upon re-installation. Maybe all you need are new hose clamps and that gasket?

You can't just use any rubber hose as a gas line. Gasoline isn't very nice to rubber. Autozone or any equivalent store sells the appropriate lines for something like a dollar a foot. I've never seen an oem replacement gas tank for a jeep, just replacement cells that move the tank from under the vehicle.

You need to use fuel injection line too, not just normal gas line.

Okay, I'm new here. My name is John and I just bought a 91 YJ and when I topped off the tank yesterday, it seemed the tank was leaking pretty quick.

Now that I've driven about 10 or so miles it has slowed quite a bit to almost not at all. When I picked it up, I filled it to about 3/4 and didn't have drips. It seems that this is at the top of the tank.

Could it just be the sending unit gasket on mine? Oh and by the way, this is my first Jeep

Okay, I'm new here. My name is John and I just bought a 91 YJ and when I topped off the tank yesterday, it seemed the tank was leaking pretty quick.

Now that I've driven about 10 or so miles it has slowed quite a bit to almost not at all. When I picked it up, I filled it to about 3/4 and didn't have drips. It seems that this is at the top of the tank.

Could it just be the sending unit gasket on mine? Oh and by the way, this is my first Jeep

Welcome to Jeepz. There are multiple lines on the top of the fuel tank that may leak if it's worn out. there's a filler tube, Vent tube and possibly a couple of pressure releif lines that goes up to the rear corner fender well. It's possible that the fuel sending unit module gasket is leaking but the lines are more likely to leak. Check those first.

I have a 91 YJ and it started leaking at the sending unit gasket. Chrysler actually had a recall on this as well as the e-brake assembly. When I went to Chrysler to get a seal I found out that my jeep hadn't been brought in on any recalls by former owner so I left it and got it all fixed for free. Check with closest dealer for recall notices. It worked out for me. Good Luck.......

Back