CJ7 axle Q's.

Collin the Hen

:mrgreen:

I'm wondering about my axle's gears. Assuming my gears haven't been changed by previous owners (very unlikely), my ratio is 2.73.
So, I know that if I wanted to put in 4.10 or something, I'd have to get a new carrier, but does that mean I have to get a new axle to fit the carrier?
The same questions go for the Dana 30, too.
Also, would a spool for the Dana 30 make the hubs hard to unlock?

Thanks

No, as long as both carriers have the same spline count.
But you should think about replacing the rear with one piece shafts.

the spool in the front 30 would only make turning hard when you have the hubs locked. I would not recommend a spool on a stock shaft 30, the shafts won't last very long, the spool has absolutle no give should you put your tires in a precarious spot.

If your gonna swap out carriers anyways, look to replacing them with detroits. little more forgiving than the spool (and by little I mean very little) If it is a $ issue, lunch box lockers are a good choice as well.

I ran a welded front diff in a D30 with no problems, same as a spool. It won't make your hubs difficult to unlock. I currently run a spool in my front D44 with locking hubs.

Thanks guys!
I just wasn't sure about the new axle issue. My rear already has a Superior 1 pc. thanks to the previous owner :piratenanner:
My next steps are the gears, because right now, they're 2.73 with 31 inch tires. Pretty, tall.
Now that you mention it, Johnny, a Truetrac would probably be the best route since it's a new carrier.
Man, I love this website!

Back