4wd isn't working

jhiggins

I have a 1988 yj and the 4wd was working and all the sudden quit. The front drive shaft still turns but not getting the front tires to turn...I can't figure if it's the t-case or the front axle..any ideas????

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Check for vacuum leaks. Look around the carb and the top of the transfer case and the front axle. [addsig]

sounds to me like your hubs arent locking...

just make sure that they are turned completely clockwise when you want them engaged.

If you've already done that, then there might be something wrong with em (although its unlikely that BOTH would be broken)
image-missing.png
[addsig]

sounds to me like your hubs arent locking...

i agre with this.....

sometime my hubs lock very difficult as a result of mud and other dirt.

bold them of and put in some new grease,maybe it helps.

BEWARE OF THE BEARINGS INSIDE!!![addsig]

sounds like a vacuum leak- make sure first that everything is connected then check the lines to make sure they are working, if not at the axle, then move back to the t-case or farther until you find out where the problem is.[addsig]

I don't have manual locking hubs they are automatic, when I engage the transfer case they automaticly lock.....[addsig]

There is a vacuum connector on the front axle pass. side tube that has 2 vacuum ports. Pull this off and check for vacuum. It will be strong in one side for 2wd and the other side for 4wd.

Search this forum and the Cherokee forum, lots of good vacuum troubleshooting and repair information.[addsig]

On your 88 yj, it is definitely a vacuum problem. I had the same problem on my 87 yj about a month ago. There is a cluster of vacuum lines that come off the transfer case that enagage and disengage your front driveshaft some nice individual gave me a diagram of the vacuum lines but since then I had to format my hard drive and I've lost it. Try to put a post for that vacuum diagram it will help you out.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Thanks a million to all of your help I am back doing it in the mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGAIN THANKS,

JH[addsig]

I agree, it must be a vacuum line. If something broke youd

know it, gears make crunching sounds and t-cases go pow.

Not that ive seen it done a few times.[addsig]

Still trying to figure it out .....................I'm going in sane trying to find a diagram for the vaccum lines for the 4wd on a 1988 yj..........................
image-missing.png
[addsig]

hey jh I tried to email you a copy of the 4x4 vacuum diagram it will come up as chriskuke@hotmail.com so watch for it. I hope it helps you out I couldn't figure out how to post the picture on here.

chris[addsig]

Thanks to everyone for the help and replys I am back on the trail tanks to ya'll...........................
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back