Samurai bikini top on CJ?

Collin the Hen

Hey guys,
I've got a perfect Suzuki Samurai bikini top that would be nice for my CJ7. My mom had it on a Samurai she had a long time ago. Is it worth it to rig it up to a CJ7? It looks like it'll fit OK. I don't know though. I just like hearing from other Jeepers. :mrgreen:

Give it a try. If it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit and you'll be able to advise others down the road. If it does fit, then be sure to take pictures and share with us! Should the top not fit, you may be able to sell it and then buy a top that fits your CJ7.

Thanks. I've just got to find a way to lift my hardtop up in the garage! I've got the straps, now I need a couple strong hooks. I'd like to just leave the top off all summer and just keep that bikini top on for showers. You know...
By the way, Dan, great work on the YJ!

Last edited:
I was going to say no, but since you already got direct access to it, like DanDoc said, give it a shot...

Give it a try. If it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit and you'll be able to advise others down the road. If it does fit, then be sure to take pictures and share with us! Should the top not fit, you may be able to sell it and then buy a top that fits your CJ7.

:agree:

Anything can me "made to fit" anything.......all it takes is ingenuity, money, and a little leeway as far as "how it looks"!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I'm as cheap as they come and also very open to "new ideas", so I say give it a shot!!! You never know, we may ALL be buying Samurai tops to put on our Jeeps!!!!! Good luck, and, of course...........

:thisthreadisworthle

Thanks. I've just got to find a way to lift my hardtop up in the garage! I've got the straps, now I need a couple strong hooks. I'd like to just leave the top off all summer and just keep that bikini top on for showers. You know...
By the way, Dan, great work on the YJ!

Be sure to place those hooks into a sturdy ceiling joist, and not into drywall alone (bad things happen that way!). Thanks for the kudos on the YJ project. It was a lot of pain, aggrivation, and money spent... but definately worth it in the end! Good luck on your fitment test 8)

Anchor in some pullies into the ceiling. That way 1 person can lift and lower your top. I have mine rigged so i can back under it and lower the hard top into possition without blowing out my back.

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing. I bought some straps rated at 500 lbs. and we have a pulley, so now I need a couple anchors. Otherwise, it's just me and my dad or someone else! It's easy getting off, but not putting it back on.

Here are some pics of the test fit that included duct tape to keep it somewhat together. I think I'll go ahead and try to make it fit in the morning. There's an extra strap on the sides for a sport bar (which I sadly do not have) with buttons, so I think I'll use those. We'll see. I also put up a pic of my Jeep just because I'm proud of it. :p What do you guys think? p0p

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 268
It looks as though the samurai top could be promising. By the looks of it, you're going to have to decide if you want the empty space not covered by the top to be at the windshield, or over your head at the seats. I'm not a big fan of being rained upon while driving. Ultimately, it's your CJ; do what you feel is best for it and you. If it were me, I'd sell that samurai top and get a top designed for my Jeep.

Nice lookin' CJ. The paint looks to be in good condition, is it the metal flake paint?

I don't know if I want to cut up the straps and make it fit. I'd rather sell it and buy one that's made for it so someone can use it on their Sami. Plus, I think it would look better if it were black.
Thanks for the complement Dan, yeah it's metal flake, but I think it's an older restoration, so rust bubbles are starting to peak through. It's a shame too, the paint is still very nice and glossy. The previous owner also slid into a garbage truck on the right side, so the left rear hardtop pillar is feathered in and junk.
Thanks for the input, everyone!

I say scrap it and pony up the $$$ for one that fits. It's a shame... it was such a huge upgrade for that top to be sitting on a Jeep instead of a Sammi :)

Back