Spark Plugs on a 258

chinard

I just ordered my TFI conversion kit, and i've been reading the install instructions, and it mentions that i should either re-gap my spark plugs for 0.045" or buy new spark plugs that are already gapped to 0.045"

I figure what the hell... Might as well go for broke and get some really GOOD spark plugs for this sucker if i'm already doing the TFI upgrade anyways...
image-missing.png

So here's what i'm wondering...

a) What kind or brand of spark plugs should I use? I want the best performance/most reliable.

b) Torque Specifications!!! My Haynes manual mentions to make sure that you use a torque wrench to the correct specifications, but I cant find any reference to tell me how much torque is enough. [addsig]

Well I have alway had good luck with Bosch plugs they are a bit pricey, but if your not worried about then then I would say go for it.

You mentioned you orderd your TFI kit, can you order that set up as a complete kit???

Reason I ask is that the TFI Upgrade is broken down somewhere on this site ...sure you have seen it......ans it just basically gives the part #'s for everything needed, so when you said you orderd a "kit" that made me think ....is there somebody out there that offers everything as a package???? or did you just go to your parts store and purchase everything seperatley??.......just wonderin

Thanks

Lou[addsig]

When you get it al put on and the bugs worked out, let us know. Have been looking at this same system so some real world data would be helpful. Thanks.

Todd[addsig]

Okay, bosch are good? Any particular model or part numbers i should keep my eye out for??

I've also heard good things about "iridium" plugs and these "tripple platinum" plugs from spitfire that have V shaped electrodes on em. Anyody know if they are worthwhile or not?

image-missing.png

[addsig]

chinard:

Spark plugs are a topic that will get you a zillion opinions.

Everyone has a favorite that works fine in his or her application.

In my 258ci Jeep 235k+ Miles. I have tried them all.

Cheap to expensive. One tip, two tip, three and four, and every special he said - she said trick new model too.

Results? I have always returned to the $.99 Champion (Basic plug)

I can keep the plugs fresh more often and with “Hi-performance models” (at three or more times the cost) I haven’t found that much to gain.

Remember your talking about a Jeep:

I do keep a spare $6.00 set in my toolbox for those unexpected repairs

(It’s nice to use the best, but is it really worth the money?)
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back