Diff cover gasket or RTV?

Collin the Hen

I lost some oil out of my engine and the amc 20 today, so I'm going to change all my fluids in the Jeep. We won't discuss how... :redface: Anyways...

Should I buy a new gasket for my diff covers, or can I just use RTV, or should I use both?

Also, does it say anywhere what the gear ratio is on the carriers? Just thought I'll check it since it'll be open and all.

And lastly, what oil viscosity should a T-5 use? My Haynes says to use some Jeep oil that's probably unavailable now or really expensive.

Thanks!

RTV.

Check for a tag on either diff cover under a cover bolt, let us know what numbers are on it. If no tag, there will be a pair of numbers stamped in the side of the ring gear. Divide the larger number by the smaller for the gear ratio.

I'm guessing 90w for the transmission but not for sure.

OK. I did the front, but I'll put the oil in tomorrow so it can cure for a while. The rear cover is a bear to get off. I bought some crappy torx bits. You get what you pay for, I guess. Half are loose, the other six are still soaking in PB blaster.
By the way, I have 2.73 for sure :( I was hoping for at least 3.08.

You don't really need to let the RTV "cure." Just make sure all surfaces are free of oil when applying it, let it sit for 15 minutes while you tidy up your tools and fill it up.

RTV on all my diffs... until recently, a friend snapped his axle on the trail, needed to pull the carrier to get the rest of the shaft out, he had a re-usable gasket, I am sold on them.. no cleaning, easy to use.

Yeah, I am similar in that sense; I have used RTV in all my diff oil changes, but I would get a reusable gasket for the next one simply because of ease of use and ease of trail changes. But RTV works just fine.

Thanks. I finally got the rear done. I bought some nice 5/16 1/2 bolts to replace those stupid Torx bolts. I'm filling it up today.

I used RTV, and it hasn't leaked a drip so far. I'll keep using the RTV since it's $4 a tube and I don't change fluid often. Thanks for the advise, though.

I use a lot of high quality polyurethane caulking at work. Had a partial tube of it when I built the new diffs. Baad idea. Went to change the fluid. I liked to never got that cover off with a hammer and a putty knife:redface:. It woulda been fine with no bolts till I drug it on a rock. Now I use the gasket and a small amount of aircraft sealant. Lesson learned.

Back