88 YJ Tach Gone Mad!!

ThorBuilt1

Hey All,
I just picked up a 88 YJ, The guy just put a new engine in it. It was having problems staying running at stop lights. It would start when it was cold no problem, but if it was warm it wouldn't start and i would have to pour fuel in the TBI and it would start. So i put a new fuel pump in it and that didn't work. So then I thought it might be a timing issue..i ran a timming light on it and it was pretty far off. so then i tried to adjust the distributor...it can't be adjusted. So then i reset the distributor back to top dead center..now it runs but the tach is all over the place and it won't idle consistant enough to run a timing light on it. it'll idle for a few seconds..then it acts like it wants to die and when it does that the tach pegs to 7000rpm...im scratching my head any ideas on what it might be??

Did you reverse the distributor 180 degrees when you put it back in? I don't know if it's possible on a Jeep, but I've done that on other cars.

would it even run 180 out. in my experiences 180 out would just be some really good backfires. it sounds like the firing order might be off(2 cylinders are switched)

p.s i had a dodge pickup that ran pretty good and when it was warmed up and i pulled up to a stop light and stopped the tach would jump all over the place the engine would barely run and then die. and it was the rear wheel speed sensor.i had a 1999 dodge so i dont know if yours is new enough to be that

Thanx for the responces,
I believe i have the distributor in some what correctly. but I'm concerned with the chilton instruction...my jeep has the 2.5l 4 now when i set the crank to top dead center it should be at zero on the marks..correct...and the rotor should be pointing at the #1 post on the distibutor cap correct?...if i go off the instructions in the chilton manual...it tells me that when poperly installed the rotor should be at 3 o clock off the engine block...now in reference to the distributor cap that puts the rotor inbetween #1 and #3 posts....not pointed at the #1 post...any ideas?

i am having issues with my tach as well, did you figure this out yet? I did have problems with idling and stalling on my 88 too then i found one of the vacuum lines had come loose after i re-attached there were no problems

i havent checked the vacuum lines yet ill take a look at that...no this thing is a real nightmare..i tore it down to check the timing chain timing is all good...im looking at the map o2 and crank shaft sensor...and now the vacuum lines...lol

o to add to that im getting fire popin out of the in take...it starts and ides really rough...can you do me a favor and set yours to d center and tell me where your rotor is pointed...to see if its pointed at one on the distributor

Back