Loose manifold

cj5springbranch

I can't seem to keep my intake/exhaust bolts torqued down I've used blue lock tight and that did not work,used red and that did'nt work either it is a 258ci,I'v had to replace the gasket three times in 9 months,thats just not right or is it just a jeep thing.[addsig]

I had that problem with some bolts on my thermostat housing - it turned out that the threads were flattened out in the hole - i had to drill it out just a bit and re-thread it. It's not that hard - if your lucky its only the bolts that have the threads messed up...

[addsig]

yeah, what happens... do they just keep spinning? try buying some new bolts, the new threads might grab a little better than the old ones, and use some 'lock-tite' compound on the threads too if necessary. Drilling out the holes and tapping them would be my last fix attempt...[addsig]

The threads are good in the head ,the studs are good and also the nuts are good,I've torqued them down to specs (28 ftlbs) used red lock tight and they still back off.[addsig]

how long does it take for the bolts to loosen up???

[addsig]

About 2 to 3 months and I start hearing the exhaust start to leak by , I'm starting to think that I have a warped exhaust manifold???? This time I think I will take it and have the surface milled to be sure.[addsig]

"Nuttin 80 lbs of torque wouldnt fix" Check for any cracks in the exahust manifold. Cracks will allow for movement which might let a nut back off. I've never had this issue. Let us know when you finally determin the cause huh?

[addsig]

I dont think your manifold would warp because its a cast design unless it was so far in red zone the gauge broke and you poured ice water on it but then it would just crack, if all else fail instead of having you manifold milled just get a header, they are fairly cheap when you consider the hp, gain to going back to stock

marc[addsig]

Back