Tires?

BlackStick

The tires on my jeep are completely bald and I am looking to get some new ones with more aggressive tread. Which ones are the best for hard core mudding and the occasional rock. I don't plan on climbing any boulders or rock walls. Also, my jeep is my only vehicle and therefore, my daily driver. Still, ride comfort is not at the top of my list, they just need to be street legal. What is the best tire for my needs? I was looking at the Nitto Mud Grappler 40x13.5R17. They have a load rating of 4300lbs and they are huge. Maybe you guys know better.:idea::?|

If it's the red jeep in your avatar, then a stock yj will fit 31's with some slight rubbing. Look for something with similar tread pattern to BFG M/T's for the mud. I have 33x12.50 Maxxis Buckshot with that same tread pattern style and they dig very well in the mud and have almost 15k miles on them with minimal wear.

maxxis all the way
54813md-1.jpg

maxxis bighorn on my racer

denman4-1.jpg

maxxis buckshot on my superduty

How do the bighorns compare to the buckshots on and off the road? If I can ever get this set to wear out I'm thinking of stepping up to the Bighorns.

I ordered a set of General Grabber AT2 31" tires from treadepot.com, and I love them. But, they are an all terrain tire. $462.00 and free shipping. I had them in 3 days.

Boggers and be done.

you can Daily Drive on them, while not ideal, you can do it.

lastly, if your going to 40" tires for mud and some rocks... last think I would be worried about is the ride quality... put some beef in your axles and drivetrain.

I've heard boggers wear down fast on the street...

they do wear down on the street. Probably get about 6-9K miles on a set of tsl's (non radial) or boggers. Depends on lockers, vehicle weight, driving style etc.. My last set of swampers on a Daily Driver got about 4K out of them, but sold them with about 50% tread left. even a swamper with that much tread can be cut and sipped to get a little more use out of them.

Back