Hard Shifting

Jeeper99

Is it typical for a 99 wrangler (automatic) to shift somewhat hard when going into Drive or Reverse? It really seems to "Engage Hard" especially when in 4 wheel drive. Once it is in gear, it changes through the gears smooth as silk. I can't even feel it shift when gathering speed when I pull onto the highway. It's the I6 motor if that makes any diffrence. Thanks!

It shouldn't shift hard. Could be a simple adjustment, maybe somebody else has more experience with that transmission?

what did you figure out? I am trying to figure out my hard shift issue also-

It's done it ever since I bought it. If you are sitting still and go into Drive, it seems to engage pretty hard, enough that it will make the body/cab shimmy to the left or right, and the same thing when you go into reverse from park or neutral. It is alot worse when it's in 4 wheel drive, but as far as getting up to highway speeds, it shifts amazingly smooth while gaining momentum.

I actually had the jeep up on jack stands with all 4 wheels off the ground and had my dad start it up and go into park, drive, neutral, reverse etc.... while I was under it looking and really didn't see anything loose or misaligned.

I did notice that when in 4 wheel drive, and the wheels where slowly turning (Off the ground) that if you turned the steering wheel full left or full right, the front end sounded like it was getting in a bind and would shake vigorusly to where you had to apply the brake. Don't know what the deal was there as it only did it while on the jack stands, but it also sounded like the front driveshaft rattles at times possibly?? Especially when climbing a hill or steep bank. (Any Ideas there??) The U Joints seem fine and not loose or worn at all, there is the slightest play when you turn the front driveshaft by hand, which I gather is normal clearance. I just put new U Joints on the front axle, New Gear oil, front and back, new transmission fluid w/ filter and everything seemed fine and clean. Other than that, I am completly lost. :?|

Back