Transmission or Transfer Case?

jehartma

After a great day of easy wheeling, pulled into my favorite burger bar. After a short pitstop, jumped back in my CJ for the ride home. Put it in reverse and let off the clutch.....only to roll into the tree in front of me. Then found I could shift into every gear without touching the clutch, but gears wouldn't engage. Figured clutch wasn't releasing, so I messed around with the linkage and sure enough it let loose, but...then the real problem. Now in 4th gear it hits 3000rpm at 25mph, 3rd at 15mph, and so on. Clutch is not soft and it shifts fine, so that doesn't seem like the problem. My only ideas are that it is stuck in 4L or somehow the gears have slipped. First step is going to replace the TC and Transmission fluids to see if I get lucky. Anyone experienced this?

Forgot the important details: 1983 CJ5, 258ci, T176 transmission, Dana 300 TC, reverse shackle lift, 31" tires, mostly stock except engine upgrades.

Sounds like the clutch linkage was screwed up and you got it fixed, pretty common on CJ's with clutch linkage when the frame flexes offroad. Now it is stuck in 4lo. I don't think changing any fluids will do anything for you.

There are some conversion kits out there to change your manual clutch over to hydraulic like the Wranglers.

Back