89 yj wont stay running...

rob3307

hi all i am new to the forum and new to jeeps too, my problem is i bought a 89 yj 2.5l 4cyl single point injection as a fixer upper and am having a hell of a time starting the thing... I have 14-18 psi in the fuel line, replaced all the gaskets and o-rings in the throttle body, and am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to check if the injector is clogged or how you can clean one? and if there is a possibility that it is just the sending unit... i am not sure this is probably a easy fix but i am having a hell of a time finding a new injector for it...

oh ya, when the injector is in place next to no gas comes through but if i remove it gas is just pouring into the engine... and it will start if i pour gas directly into the throttle body, but as soon as that gas is gone it stalls out...

Last edited:
It sounds like the fuel injector is clogged. I would not bother cleaning it. I would just replace it - only one injector. I have a 1989 YJ with the same engine.

Last edited:

Nah just rebuild it tbi is the easiest thing you can rebuild
You have a couple areas the pressure regulator/diaphragm the filter(inside the injector) and the spray nozzle itself could all be clogged or not working
If you still have a issue it may be the injector but i doubt it

oh yea before you do any of that see if you have a pulse going to the injector no pulse no spray

Nah just rebuild it tbi is the easiest thing you can rebuild
You have a couple areas the pressure regulator/diaphragm the filter(inside the injector) and the spray nozzle itself could all be clogged or not working
If you still have a issue it may be the injector but i doubt it

oh yea before you do any of that see if you have a pulse going to the injector no pulse no spray

i already rebuilt the throttle body... i cant check for the pulse going to the injector as i have no power going to the plugs or fuel pump and who knows what else now...

Well you checked the pump pressure and that is good you rebuilt the tbi and put on a new filter so it is good up to the injector

You should get some spray out of the injector when you crank the engine if not you probably have a electrical pulse issue(the injector is not opening) start at the wiring and work back through the relays and fuses and where you might end up at the um well freaking computer.

If you pour too much gas down the intake the engine will pick up a over rich condition and may not spray(to prevent a backfire) so you may want to look if the injectors are spraying after the engine has sat for a while.

You have no power due to a dead battery right? You still have spark when the batt is charged(and engine is cranked)right?

Well you checked the pump pressure and that is good you rebuilt the tbi and put on a new filter so it is good up to the injector

You should get some spray out of the injector when you crank the engine if not you probably have a electrical pulse issue(the injector is not opening) start at the wiring and work back through the relays and fuses and where you might end up at the um well freaking computer.

If you pour too much gas down the intake the engine will pick up a over rich condition and may not spray(to prevent a backfire) so you may want to look if the injectors are spraying after the engine has sat for a while.

You have no power due to a dead battery right? You still have spark when the batt is charged(and engine is cranked)right?

i need to buy a new battery... i have been using jumper cables to try to get it started so far, don't want to burn out a new battery, so have been putting it off till i get it running. but i dont have nay spark anymore, not sure what happened but all of a sudden the fuel pump stopped working and the plugs have no spark in them anymore, and the relays for the fuel pump arnt chicking on and off anymore either

i need to buy a new battery... i have been using jumper cables to try to get it started so far, don't want to burn out a new battery, so have been putting it off till i get it running. but i dont have nay spark anymore, not sure what happened but all of a sudden the fuel pump stopped working and the plugs have no spark in them anymore, and the relays for the fuel pump arnt chicking on and off anymore either

but yes the engine turns over still

well i got back my power and fuel, have a pulse in the injector plug, but still nothing coming thru... going to order a new injector i think

anyone know where the wot switch and the ecu are located?

Back