cj7 with a 258 wont start

rmballou

i have a 258 bored 30 over timing was advanced when i got it so they say idk. we had it out couple weeks ago. just to putt around in. it dies climbing a 4 foot wall getting out of a creek. i thoguht my wife stalled it. but she is saying she didnt but who knows.... i now have no spark , i changed the coil and still nothing.. any ideas on what it could be? it has a webber carb on it also.....

is it stock or mod'd - if no spark and you c/o the coil... check the ecu... i had that prob w/y 258... they can die sudden or drain ya slow (mine did fine till it got hot...) - i changed the plugs , the coil, and still died on me... but if it was ok b/4 - that may be your culprit - hopefully just the connector if not change it out..... hope it helps... and welcome to jeepz! you'll like it here....

i will have to check. i think i have one from another cj somewhere...

i signed up alittle more than a year ago.... changed computers other crashed. couldnt get to any of my favs that i saved.... until i stumbled across it again i couldnt remember the site name lol but its so easy..

i go to jeepform,unlimitedjeep, gotmudd,terrainstompers, core, alot alot of others.....

i hoping to meet a couple people from here. maybe go wheeling with some

if you post where youre at either in your signature or info you might just find someone nearby... i know i'm always lookin for wheelin partners (used to go out by myself till i realized what a bad idea that is when a friend got stranded for 2 days in the desert...)
g'luck!

is it stock or mod'd - if no spark and you c/o the coil... check the ecu... i had that prob w/y 258... they can die sudden or drain ya slow (mine did fine till it got hot...) - i changed the plugs , the coil, and still died on me... but if it was ok b/4 - that may be your culprit - hopefully just the connector if not change it out..... hope it helps... and welcome to jeepz! you'll like it here....

If the ecu is the little computer box gizmo thats mounted on the drivers side on the fender or firewall not sure where.......anyway, I put a 2004 4.0 in my '89 YJ & I got all the computer & harness stuff from the 04 to go with it!
Anyhow, I'm sure I have that box around here someplace & it was for a 4.2 with a std trans.
Yell if you need it!
Jim

yea the ecu is the electronic control module - mounts on the driver side well under the radiator res. in its stock location.... its about 4 or 5" sq. and has 2 connectors going to it....

i thought i had one in the barn but i dont. and what do you know there isnt one at the 3 part stores around here.. what luck.. mine is located on the passenger fender.. has a 4 plug like a ford would. then a single plug

just got my igintion control moduler today sorry i cant spell. so i put that on. hooked up the battery turned the key fired right up. put all my tools in on area off the fenders hit the gas a couple times then it died and wont start back up now..... any thoughts??

Maybe you wiggled the harness enough that it made good contact when you installed the new ecu, and after starting it it lost contact again. try moving the ecu around some to get better contact.

Also, add yourself to the members map to find people around you. You can find it on the main forum page (down my the forsale section)

i have wiggled unplugged wiggled and everything and nothing.. this jeep is driving me crazy i guess its time to do any upgrade

Back