Headers still glow!! See prev. intake woes!

My .02 worth. My first thought was that maybe you didn't break in the new cam properly, but then you said that you ran it one night and it didn't do and the next night it did. So I have to assume that the cm is ok. Now the next thing is: 99% of the time when someting is running fine then we work on the all of a sudden it runs bad it's usually something we did. So, first think about removing and installing the body. Can you thik of anything at all you may have done that would cause this problem. Now take some time, now's the time to stand back relax and get a fresh start. Trust me on this, we all have to from time to time. Now if you can't think of anything try the following:

Usually this is caused by either fuel mixture or timing.

1- Check timing either with a light or the old fashioned way. By removing the #1 plug bring the piston to top dead center. Now look at the timing mark and remove the distributor cap, the rotor should be pointng at the #1 tower on the cap.

2- Remove the vacuum advance hose. Does the idle change?

3- I noticed that with all the mods you didn't mention anything about a new fuel pump. Is the pump you're using providing the proper psi to make sure you have enough gas?

Now like I said go slow and easy. take it one step at a time and make sure it's right, always be sure to double check yourself. I am going on alot of assumptions here. But we'll take one step at a time. Don't work until you get so fustrated that you start screwing up. I do that myself. Let me know if I can help any more.[addsig]

I just finished cramming the exhaust back up under my Jeep. The two local opinions of the day are: " Internal leak in the manifold causing lean condition. Possibly a warped aluminum intake." and "Need to get more fuel to it. Go up two jet sizes in the carb."

I've been re thinking the whole process. I can't think of anything done while the body was off. The chasis did sit outside the body shop for about 6 weeks. I've been looking over my factory manual and the vacuem hose routing. I know some stuff is missing, but it's been that way for 15 years. I've tried running the Jeep with all vacuem openings capped at the manifold. Still turns hot!

After the body work when I saw this problem "reappear" the #1,4,6,7 cylinders were the ones turning orange. After installing a new intake gasket the orange glow has appeared on the #2,3,5,8 cylinders. Mostly #3 and 5. It seems the center cylinders always turn orange first.

I am really thinking something on the intake is wrong. If I get time tommorrow I'm taking it off. What do you think?[addsig]

You must TRY to rejet richer a couple of sizes. This corrected my prob. immediately. Is timing set right?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks joeycj5! Sounds good. I'll jet up the carb. first. I'm getting pretty tired of intake gasket replacements. I'm probably keeping factory production up! Since mine is the emission carb. I'm not sure what size my current jets are. Did you have alternating pipes glow? Or all of them?[addsig]

Back