Warranty Questions?

TJoffroad00

Does any one know if a lift new wheels/tires will void the 3yr/36K warranty?Im sure my new gears and axle shafts will void the drivetrain warranty but will all this void my factory warranty.Mine goes out in late May but i would like to start putting my stuff on in Febuary but my dad wont let me if i void the warranty.Any help? [addsig]

anything you can put on, you can take off if something breaks
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I would say yes, any time you do anything to the suspension or alter anything that has a direct effect on wear on any items, then I would say it would void the warranty. Are you close on your mileage?? Often if you get a shady dealer, they will try anything to try and get out of doing warranty work. For example- if it is obvious that you did take your Jeep off road and did something to it, then they might not do it saying that off-roading isn't covered under your warranty or that by off-roading you voided your entire warranty all together. All depends on the dealer and how they operate. But to answer directly, everything I have heard would say that anytime you change anything from the factory with aftermarket parts that aren't available as a factory option, you will probably void it.

Sorry, probably not the news you wanted to hear...[addsig]

-Another thing, if you do something anyway, make sure it is easy taken back off so that you can take it to the dealer looking stock..... that might help you out some too...[addsig]

Best bet is to do a couple of net searches on something called the "Mangnusson-Moss Warranty Act"

I dont have the full details in front of me right now, but its basically a set of laws that were put in place to help people like ourselves with warranty claims on vehicles that have been modified... (Not HEAVILY modified, mind you)
image-missing.png

Of course it all comes down to just how anal retentive your dealership/service centre is about it. (Results may vary)[addsig]

Ive taken my jeep in for sensors a few times and they replaced

them with no questions. As for mods ive got a 6" rubicon

express long arm kit, gears, lockers, jb t-case, and others.

However this winter ill be switching the trans to an nv4500,

t-case to an atlas 4.3, 9 inch rear and 44 hi pinion front.

Im selling the axels. 44 rear with 4.56 gears and a detroit

softlocker. 30 front with 4.56 gears and a detroit tru trac locker.

$1500 for both. Lockers were professionally installed.

Im sellin my old lift its in the For sale section and so are the

nv3550 and the np231 with the JB conversions slip yoke elim.

If interested you can email me at AFholmz@aol.com or call at

419-875-5105.[addsig]

Ive got all my parts and beginning to assemble them this

weekend so everything is ready to ship, deliver, or pick up

as of next week.[addsig]

Chinard was right on the money with the "Magnusson-Moss warranty Act". In a nutshell, the manufacturer has to honor the warranty unless they can specifically indicate that the modification was related to the failure. So if the light in your hardtop falls out, they can't deny the warranty because you installed a K&N filter on the engine, you get the idea.

A lot depends on the particular Service Manager at the dealership you go to. Some can be a real pain when you try to get warranty work done. Try to stick with a 5-star dealer, and threaten to call Daimler-Chrsyler Customer Service if things aren't going your way
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Also, if the dealer gives you crap tell him/her/it you're calling the Better Business Bureau (did I spell that

right?).

There are some cases where the dealership may be right. For example, a few years ago my dad put a

tighter suspension on his ford exploder. Within a month the windshield cracked. It was not covered

under warranty because the frame wasn't designed for tighter suspension, it torqued too much, and

cause the windshield to crack. In all fairness, that's not something the dealership should have to cover.

So even though it is not "directly related" like raising a jeep over 4" without lowering the transmission, it is still

cause and effect.

How close are you to 36k miles? Take a road trip or two...

Or, take the time between now and may to lay things out, do lots of research, scrounge for parts, and

have everything in place for when the warranty runs out. Make sure you have all the tools, parts, fluids,

instructions, everything. While you have everything torn apart, take advantage of it and treat the frame

and drivetrain with some sort of rust protectant (POR-15, etc).

Hell, use the willingness to wait as a negotiating point. "okay Dad, I'll wait till the warranty expires, but in

return I'd like some assistance ($$$ or logistical) planning out my modifications so they are done right..."

or something like that.

Waiting sucks, but its not like you have to wait till the end of summer, do the mods, and then wait for next

summer to take the top off get muddy.

There I go, rambling again.

Cooper.[addsig]

I still have 10K left to void it by miles so that isnt an option.And my dad hates everything about Jeeps and offroading so he dosent want to hear about it.I talked to a few guys aroung here and they havent had any problems w/ their lifted Jeeps so it looks like i will get it built sooner
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back