Ticking in the engine?

freebird2

Just the other day I gave my Jeep an oil and filter change and I started noticing a little ticking in the engine department. Not sure what this is if it may be cold or what it tend to lessen as it warms up. I also noticed that the transmission fluid may be leaking a little from the drain cap below so I tightened it? Would this cause that?

What year and model jeep?

Try replacing a qt. of oil with a qt. of transmission fluid and see if the tick gets quieter.

Look closely for an exhaust leak, could be the cause.

How many miles are on the engine? It may just be coincedental with the oil change, but If it's higher miles, it's more than likely just cylinder wall wear and makes a rattliling/ticking noise until the motor warms up and the pistons expand to make the rattling quiten down.

Hey Bounty, what would the Transmission fluid do for the oil?

Did you go from a heavier weight oil to a lighter one?

I use to have some older cars that would smoke and rattle - swapping in some 20W 50 would quiet it right down :)

I've always used 4 qts 10W 30, but I did use a different oil filter this time used Fram instead of the normal K and N. So, just poor ATF down the where you put the oil? Will this end up being a bad idea later on? 03 Sahara 6 cyl 57K

Good chance the exhaust manifold is cracked, more common with that mileage than an internal tick. Inspect the exhaust manifold closely, especially at the welds where the tubes meet.

4 qts in a 6 cyl is not enough oil... Check your manual.

I added another quart of oil and it is still ticking. Check my transmission fluid levels and they are good. Still ticking in the engine I really don't like the noise. I'll take a close look at the exhaust manifold tomorrow.

I'm almost positive that the only time it ticks is when it cold and not warmed up yet.
What does this mean?

I added the ATF to the engine oil and started it and the ticking has ceased. I'm hoping that it doesnt come back. Thanks for the help B.H. now is something that I'll have to do every time I change the oil now or just when I hear the same ticking noises?

I have the same question about this that the OP asked, so I'll bump. Is this transmission fluid trick a temporary thing to clean out the engine that you can do before an oil change, or is this something you guys leave in the engine for a while / permanently?

Leave it. You can try running every other oil change without it, but it may come back. Experiment with it and see.

My mechanic told me about it, he had a sticky lifter in a 4.0L that he would remove and rotate, only to have the tick come back. ATF did the trick.

I'm still getting the ticking even after I put the ATF with the engine oil. Is it still the lifter sticking?

if you still have ticking after the atf trick you may have a collapsed lifter or bent pushrod or valve.... you can try pulling the valve cover do a visual check on the upper valvetrain and check the pushrods on each valve (rotate and check your clearances for ea. valve...) - if its persistent it may be beyond the easy fix - just make sure the noise is internal and not an exhaust leak....

Back