TJ 2.5 Cam and Lifter woes...

Gold Member

Hi all
I picked up my 99 four banger for a great price (she was in bad shape) and I am real close to getting her into great shape. The last thing on my list is some engine noise at idle. I had my local dealership diagnose the problem.

They wrote:
"Inspected Vehicle for knocking in engine, found lifter noise. Customer declined work at this time. Recommend replacing cam shaft and lifters including head gasket. Cost for repairs is $1300".

This lifter noise became more evident after someone recommended that I go to Valvoline Max Life oil 5w30. Since adding the new oil, the noise worsened. I can only guess 10w30 oil was used previously. Anywho, I was thinking about buying the parts I needed and doing the repairs myself. I have built an engine or two in the past....but then I just found out that this is no overhead cam engine. Does anyone know how easy it would be to replace the camshaft on these engines? Any help/advices would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I replaced the cam in my 2.5L engine, seems to be one of the easiest I've done.

Before trying all that, replace a qt. of oil with a qt. of ATF and see if that doesn't quiet down the tick.

Also inspect the exhaust manifold studs, the front and rear studs commonly break and cause a tick.

Thanks for that. I will def try adding some ATF, but I am sure I will end up replacing the camshaft etc so I know my engine is in good shape.
So how do you go about replacing the camshaft? It sits in the long block right?

Correct. Consider purchasing a Factory Service Manual (FSM), they run about $80 and are very detailed on your vehicle.

Good idea. I'm off out today to pick one up. Thanks again for your help :shades: although i might be calling on you for some more help in the near future if that's ok...:)

Well, so far I have replaced the camshaft, timing chain, lifters, rockers and the rocker pivots.

I still have this annoying rattle noise going on.

I don't hear the noise when starting from cold as it idles at around 1000rpm (too high an rpm to hear the noise). When it has been running for a while and I then let it sit for a few hours then start it again...(it's now idling at normal 750 ish rpm), the rattle is at it's worst. When it's hot, not so much. As soon as I blip the throttle, noise is gone. Sounds like it's more prominent on the distributor side, but if I open the drivers side door (while sitting inside) I can hear the rattle as it reflects off the floor.

A friend said it sounded like a sewing machine...:???:

I thought maybe it was sprocket noise, or water pump but I am fairly sure it's not coming from the front of the engine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have an auto transmission? Could be loose flexplate bolts, although they're usually louder than you describe.

Try to narrow it down with a broomstick or large wooden dowel, put one end on different parts of your engine and your ear to the other end.

Do you have an auto transmission? Could be loose flexplate bolts, although they're usually louder than you describe.

Try to narrow it down with a broomstick or large wooden dowel, put one end on different parts of your engine and your ear to the other end.

It's a manual.

I'll give that a go as soon as I get a chance. Will let you know what I find. Thnx.

Do you have any skid plates that may be a little loose that may rattle,had that problem with a Subaru.Possibly coming from the alt,or air condenser they are both on the passenger side.Possible bad bearing in one of them.

Back