auto to manual swap...

UrbanJeep

I am debating on wether to swap my auto out for a manual... I wanted to know if anyone has or had done it in the past and if so... how hard is it and on the TJ's is there any computer work needed to be done... is the 32RH trans and electric or a pressure operated transmission... and how much is the cost of gettin all those clutch parts going to run me? please respond so i can make up my mind..

Mike d.[addsig]

in the current issue if 4wheel and offroad there is an article about making your auto transmission a manual one.[addsig]

Should be a simple swap, if the transmission is from the same type engine. Make sure to get the clutch pedal and clutch slave from a donor jeep, and get the external clutch slave, stay away from internal found on '93 and older Jeeps.

Double check the output shafts of both trannies, make sure they are the same length and spline count. If not, you'll have to change the input shaft on your transfer case to match.

Clutch pedal and getting the console to look factory may be your largest hurdles.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Should be a simple swap, if the transmission is from the same type engine. Make sure to get the clutch pedal and clutch slave from a donor jeep, and get the external clutch slave, stay away from internal found on '93 and older Jeeps.

Double check the output shafts of both trannies, make sure they are the same length and spline count. If not, you'll have to change the input shaft on your transfer case to match.

Clutch pedal and getting the console to look factory may be your largest hurdles.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

well if I decide to do this a different trans case might go in anyway... so the ouput shaft might not be the problem... if i get the nv4500 will it be a pain to install compared to a nv3500?[addsig]

I am pulling the nv3550 and np231 with a jb slip yoke elim out

of my 2001 tj this week if your interested. The transmission has the

4.01 first. It will come with the bellhousing but that is about it.

Iam keeping the clutch and other parts as spares in case i fry

the centerforce. I want $800 for both. I am swapping

in an NV4500 and an atlas 4.3, so low gearing is the only reason

for the swap, well that an drool factor. If your interested

you can contact me at AFholmz@aol.com[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>well if I decide to do this a different trans case might go in anyway... so the ouput shaft might not be the problem... if i get the nv4500 will it be a pain to install compared to a nv3500?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The 4500 is a lot larger, which will probably require modification to the body tub above the transmission.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>>>well if I decide to do this a different trans case might go in anyway... so the ouput shaft might not be the problem... if i get the nv4500 will it be a pain to install compared to a nv3500?<<

The 4500 is a lot larger, which will probably require modification to the body tub above the transmission.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

but I have never heard of any problems with the trans for the execption of maybe changing the fluid in it thats all.... The NV3500 is probably plenty of good for the apps. I need it for... But heres another ? I have a dana 35 in the back and it has like 3.07 gears.. I will prob. destroy the rear end from wear and tear on it

I want to upgrade to 4.01 maybe a 4.88 but I don't know... Is the PCM gonna like this swap or am i going to have some issues with my computer.[addsig]

a gear swap will have no effect on the computer. If you do

it i recommend getting the steepest you can with respect to

your tire height. like 4.88's, youll never regret it.[addsig]

Whats your reason for wanting to swap? What kind of wheeling will you be doing? Are doing? Auto's are better suited for rock crawling, running mud. With proper gearing (R&P) and good tires, auto's can make rock crawling a little easier. You won't have the compression braking with an auto that manual's have, but you won't have to "ride" the clucth with an auto.

If you look at most of the "hy-bred" insane wheelers out there today, there mostly autos. Unless you have gobb & gobbs of $$$$, or something is really wrong with your current Auto, I'd leave it alone.

[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> Whats your reason for wanting to swap? What kind of wheeling will you be doing? Are doing? Auto's are better suited for rock crawling, running mud. With proper gearing (R&P) and good tires, auto's can make rock crawling a little easier. You won't have the compression braking with an auto that manual's have, but you won't have to "ride" the clucth with an auto.

If you look at most of the "hy-bred" insane wheelers out there today, there mostly autos. Unless you have gobb & gobbs of $$$$, or something is really wrong with your current Auto, I'd leave it alone.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

personally the only reason I want a manual is b/c my first ride (91 wrangler 2.5L) was a manual; loved it except it was a piece... I just can't stand the performance of a auto out of these things... I live in MI so the worst I am doing to my Jeep is maybe taking it to the sand dunes.. mostly snow is involved with my jeep but this is all in the air still.. AFholmz where do you live at???[addsig]

Back