88 yj dies on me while driving

keye48

I have a 88 yj 4.2 auto...for the last few months the damn thing will just die and not restart....I have spark and fuel...after 1/2 hr or 2 hrs she will start back up.....everytime it dies the floor gets hot..I have replaced the ignition contro module and still the same thing all my connections seem good...I was told that the catilyic converter might be plugged...that might point to the heat on the floor just before it dies...before I start replacing the converter...would anyone here please have some insight on this problem...it is gettong real hard on the nerves breaking down in rush hour

My money is on the catalytic converter, happened to my old '88 4.2L YJ. The jeep would run long enough for the catalyst to heat up and expand, choking the exhaust. The catalyst would then open up as it cooled, thus allowing the jeep to start again.

Check JC Whitney for Everything Automotive, Car, Truck, Jeep, Motorcycle & RV for some inexpensive converters, the small spun converters are nice and compact.

thanx...tomorrow me and my son are taking the cat off and replacing it with straight pipe to see if that is the prob..thanx again hunter

Back