What T-case/Trans for My CJ?

franked

I have a 78 CJ7, I have added Howell EFI, dana 44s little bit of lift, 35s and 4.10 gears. I plan on changing over to the 4.0 head for some more power. I have a T18(b?) trans and a dana 20 Transfer case, The T-18 that is supposed to be in my jeep has a 6.35:1 first gear, but that was a T-18A, mine does not say A on it. My question is what would be strong, LOW-LOW geared for crawling, and maybe overdrive, of course I need whatever I get to bolt right up too.
maybe just a gear reduction for my T-case, with the 35s I have plenty of top end for the freeway. Is there a (more than 2:1) gear set for dana 20s, any recommendations? Thanks in advance to anyone responding, Frank

Yes, you can get a Tera Low gearset for a Dana 20 that will give you a 3.15 low range. If you're happy with your high end, then that's what I'd do. The T-18 is a great transmission.

The T-18 is nice, but the Dana 20 will be a weak link. You should look into swapping a Dana 300. You will need an adapter to mate the 300 to the T18, but even then you will come out cheaper than buying a low gear set for the Dana 20 that will likely break anyway.
Back in the day I broke one Dana 20 tailshaft, fixed it, then broke the gearset. I was running D44 axles and 35 boggers. It didn't take much.

Thanks for the replies, gives me something to think about, need to look up the ratio on the 300...not much better than what I have, I think I'll just wait.

You can get 4:1 gearsets decently cheap for the 300. You probably need to overhaul it anyway if you get a 300. I run a 400 with the 300. Adapters cost money, so its never a cheap swap, especially if its a Chevy t400, then you have to swap out the rear shaft for a 23 spline that will fit the 300. Novak has a kit for 5 bills. Stak also makes a kit thats a bit cheaper.

Back