TJ Clutch Issue

Tuff Jeeper

I just got home and after a stop sign I started out fine and dandy, went to shift to second pushed in the clutch, and did not disengage, got it home, pulled it in the drive way and the clutch slightly disengaged, and wetn to drive it again to diagnose, and 1/2 a block away it no longer gets power to the ground. I can run the transmission in all gears and nothing happens. It does not matter if the clutch is disengaged or engaged, nothing happens.

I would prefer not to get my daily exercice from pushing a 2 ton TJ 1/2 a block down the road by myself again...... :x

lets hear what you think! My best guess is the slave cylinder...

[ I can run the transmission in all gears and nothing happens. It does not matter if the clutch is disengaged or engaged, nothing happens./QUOTE]. i'm a bit confused.did you mean you can shift to any gears with the engine running and no clutch and nothing happens or you just cant shift to any gears due to the hydraulic clutch failure?.

It could just be the clutch gone bad... When my master/slave went, I had the oppossite effect (I could not get the gear in, and if I pushed it hard, it would grind. Also, getting out of gear was hard). To me it sounds like you need a new clutch, but hey, I am a noob, so what do I know... Better wait for the more informed people to give you some more useful feedback.

Ok, hopefully to clarify, I can be in the jeep stopped on the side of the road *engine is running*, and run thru all the gears, I don't need to push in the clutch pedal at all.

I did some looking and me and my buddy were looking at it, you can't hear the clutch spinning which makes me wonder if for some reason the clutch is disengaged.

The wierdest thing is that it never showed signs of a worn out clutch, i.e. slipping or wierd noises. It was fine one shift and the next it was history.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the problem could be in the transmission or the Transfer Case. Thoery:If Your able to shift in all the gears with the engine running and Verify that the Clutch "IS" engaged when placed in any gear and the Clutch pedal released, then the torque transfer from the Flywheel attached to the engine crankshaft is in a 1 to 1 ratio to the transmission input shaft. from there it would go to the counter shaft then the Main shaft .if the torque transfer continues to flow all the way out the Transmission output shaft to the trasfercase input shaft and out the countershaft(output shaft) front and rear drive shaft. i would think that if your able to shift in all the gears without a clutch, somewhere in the drivetrain, something is disconnected and like Jfrabat said, you would hear a grinding noise and would be impossible to shift into any gears from a dead stop without the use of a clutch to buffer the turning torque. Quick Check: try to shift your Transfercase to 4Lo with the clutch in and transmission in neutral.shift to 1st gear and see if the jeep moves. if it does, drive it around the block while shifting in all gears to see if they are all working.if everything is fine and dandy, i would have to say the problem is in the T.Case. if this didn't work, Let me know what transmission you have. i'm sure someone here in the forum knows what came with your jeep.I would think if the Clutch plate center splined sleeve broke off the rest of the clutch plate, it would make some sort of noise. i could be wrong, these are just possible causes.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the problem could be in the transmission or the Transfer Case. Thoery:If Your able to shift in all the gears with the engine running and Verify that the Clutch "IS" engaged when placed in any gear and the Clutch pedal released, then the torque transfer from the Flywheel attached to the engine crankshaft is in a 1 to 1 ratio to the transmission input shaft. from there it would go to the counter shaft then the Main shaft .if the torque transfer continues to flow all the way out the Transmission output shaft to the trasfercase input shaft and out the countershaft(output shaft) front and rear drive shaft. i would think that if your able to shift in all the gears without a clutch, somewhere in the drivetrain, something is disconnected and like Jfrabat said, you would hear a grinding noise and would be impossible to shift into any gears from a dead stop without the use of a clutch to buffer the turning torque. Quick Check: try to shift your Transfercase to 4Lo with the clutch in and transmission in neutral.shift to 1st gear and see if the jeep moves. if it does, drive it around the block while shifting in all gears to see if they are all working.if everything is fine and dandy, i would have to say the problem is in the T.Case. if this didn't work, Let me know what transmission you have. i'm sure someone here in the forum knows what came with your jeep.I would think if the Clutch plate center splined sleeve broke off the rest of the clutch plate, it would make some sort of noise. i could be wrong, these are just possible causes.

We ran it thru the gears and all, didn't do anything, so we thru it in 4 lo and it didnt do anything.

The one thing that makes me question is because, usually, well before the issue, you could let out the clutch in neutral and you could hear it spin. Now you can't hear it spin when the clutch is engaged and in neutral.

Then Do what JFRabat said, check your clutch. it's possible that the clutch has fallen apart or the pressure plate springs failed.let us know what you find.

It just dawned on me that your Throw out bearing sit's directly in front of the Slave cylinder. if this colapses that could be whats wrong. is there a change on the way the clutch pedal feels?

no, the clutch pedal feels basically normal, when it first started having issues, the clutch engaged within an inch or so from the floor, and the pedal felt wierd, now it feels normal....

its really throwing me for a loop

Your telling me? my head is spinning thinking about the possible cause for the concern.is there any way to pull the shifter off the top of the trans. and see the actual gears spin when in gear,engine running? just make sure you engage your e.brake just in case it wants to take you for a ride. i gotta leave for work, i'll sign back on when i get my laptop fired up .

Hi There,

If you can run through the gears with the engine running and without touching the clutch at all I would think you have a throwout bearing problem or have blown the diaphram spring. Since it happened instantly I'd bet on the diaphram spring... I've seen throwout bearings stick on the splines and hang the clutch "open", especially if there are a lot of miles on the unit or if the clutch was just tampered with (ie "serviced"). Try an other test... With the engine off, front tires blocked, put the transmission in first, two wheel drive. Don't touch the clutch pedal. Jack up one rear wheel (both if you don't have open diffs) and try to turn the tire. You should not be able to turn it much. If it DOES turn freely then the clutch is "hung up" or has blown the diaphram spring (or as a last resort... something is broken in the transmission or transfer). If it passes the first test (you can't turn the tire) turn ("rock") the tire back and forth and you should hear backlash noises from the transmission. Then, put it in neutral and you should be able to turn the tire freely. A final test... If you have someone hold the clutch pedal down, leave the transmission in first, and then turn the tire it should turn -BUT- it might (should) be a little stiffer than it was in neutral and you probably will be ably to hear the clutch making a sliding noise. Hope this helps - John

ok, I took it to my buddy so that he could look at it. He took off the transmission and come to find out the clutch was shot, but the wierd thing about it was that it never slipped before going out!

It should be on the road today.

k, finally gave up and took it to the mecanic, he took it apart and said that 1/3 of the clutch shatterd. It was wierd. It was a good deal though, all said and done $600 and we are back on the road.

Back