Quick n' Easy

freedomfly

OK, well my problem is that i am short on power as well as money. Do you guys know of any quick modifications that i can do to a '93 YJ 4 cyl. 5 spd. that wont run me over 1000 dollars. I need something to keep me busy this winter and i thought that maybe working on the engine was a good idea. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

You could go the bolt-on route; intake, muffler, coil. Those are "quick" to install. In fact, excuse me if I'm wrong, but I think I've read that you can use a 4.0 throttle body on one of the four cylinders in the Wranglers. I'm a 6 buff, so I don't know the fours.

4BangerJP.com - Index is a start.

You can:
Replace mechanical fan with a Ford Taurus 3.8 electric fan.
Install a performance camshaft and lifter.
Install a 62mm throttle body and spacer (of which I sell cheap).
Install a cold air intake kit, or go cheap and use a TJ 4.0L airtube with a conical filter on the end.
Install a FireWire ignition upgrade from Performance Distributors - High Performance and Racing Ignition Systems .

I agree with bounty; if you want mods for a 4banger, check the site (both of us are also members there). You will find anything from superchargers and turbos to the ussual of the mill engines there...

For me, the best one is the e-Fan conversion. I went the junkyard route, and bought a Ford Motor Company '90s taurus fan for under $30 (complete with shroud) and used a DC Controller connector, which controls the fan speed according to temp. This means that (1) it shuts the fan off when on the highway (since the fan is not spinning, there is less parasitic drag on the engine), (2) the fan does not come on at full speed, but the speed is increased slowly, so it pulls few amps (I used it with the stock alternator for about a year without issues even with the auxiliary lamps and the stereo amp), and it turns the fan on at low speed when the AC compressor is on. I also have a backup system wired to the low-speed wiring of the fan using a relay, but I have not used it for the 2-years the fan has been on except when I want to test it. I should point out that the FoMoCo fan is more powerful than the Flex-a-lite fans (some estimate the output at around 4,000 CFM!).

My second choice would be the 62mm 4.2 TB and spacer. I got the chore from a junk yard and got it bored, but Bounty can sell you the complete thing.

You can also use a K&N or Airhog filter for the stock box, and this will help a bit. But just dont expect HUGE improvements (the only way you will feel the change is on the highway, where you will not need to downshift as often as before). All the mods mentioned are good, but work better when added one to the other...

The best mod (but out of your $1,000 budget) is to regear. But that one will be expensive (especially if you are like me and dont know how to do it yourself).

Felipe

I agree with bounty; if you want mods for a 4banger, check the site (both of us are also members there). You will find anything from superchargers and turbos to the ussual of the mill engines there...

For me, the best one is the e-Fan conversion. I went the junkyard route, and bought a Ford Motor Company '90s taurus fan for under $30 (complete with shroud) and used a DC Controller connector, which controls the fan speed according to temp. This means that (1) it shuts the fan off when on the highway (since the fan is not spinning, there is less parasitic drag on the engine), (2) the fan does not come on at full speed, but the speed is increased slowly, so it pulls few amps (I used it with the stock alternator for about a year without issues even with the auxiliary lamps and the stereo amp), and it turns the fan on at low speed when the AC compressor is on. I also have a backup system wired to the low-speed wiring of the fan using a relay, but I have not used it for the 2-years the fan has been on except when I want to test it. I should point out that the FoMoCo fan is more powerful than the Flex-a-lite fans (some estimate the output at around 4,000 CFM!).

My second choice would be the 62mm 4.2 TB and spacer. I got the chore from a junk yard and got it bored, but Bounty can sell you the complete thing.

You can also use a K&N or Airhog filter for the stock box, and this will help a bit. But just dont expect HUGE improvements (the only way you will feel the change is on the highway, where you will not need to downshift as often as before). All the mods mentioned are good, but work better when added one to the other...

The best mod (but out of your $1,000 budget) is to regear. But that one will be expensive (especially if you are like me and dont know how to do it yourself).

Felipe

To bring this thread back... How did you wire the H and L side into the one terminal? Did you just tie them together to it?

I checked the website for the fan controller and it looks like it only has a positive and negative output for the fan itself, but I may have misunderstood it

Back