How much fuel pressure

Burmman

I have found that my carb problem is that a little plastic thingie for my choke is sticking and flooding my carb out. So I figure that if I get rid of the mechanical pump and go with an electric fuel pump I can get rid of the choke. That should fix my choke problem and there for fix the flooding. So I need to know fuel pressure on an 89 4.2L 258 engine. It has a factory carb and intake on it. Also does anyone think this won't work please let me know before I do all this.

I doubt that replacing your Mechanical Fuel pump to an Electric Fuel pump would fix a flooding issue on a carburator. A Choke is either Electric, Vacuum or thermally actuated. if the carburator is flooding with the choke wide open(Disengaged) then i would suspect that the float needle(S) is stuck open or the float is stuck on the bottom of the bowl. if your reffering to the flooding as running really rich due to the choke getting stuck Closed, i would check one of the choke setup mentioned above.

Yeah I thought about it more and what I was going to do was get rid of the choke before but not I bought a manual choke so I will get rid of the electric choke on the carb and replace it with the manual so I can control it. I guess I thought by putting on the electric fuel pump I could get away without a choke at all. I live in Pennsylvania and it gets pretty darn cold here so I think I will need it.

i don't see how switching to an electric fuel pump would have any effect on the choke system. also you will need a fuel pressure regulator for the electric fuel pump to maintain 5 psi with the stock carter bbd carburetor. i would have to say that i dont recommend the electric fuel pump because i have seen a lot of problems with too much fuel pressure causing engine flooding and even engine FIRES. the stock mechanical fuel pump should work fine for most drivability issues except that in extreme off-road situations you can have some problems getting fuel to the carburetor. on my 89 yj i bought the weber carb conversion kit, it was about $300.00 but man was it ever sweet! failing that, it really shouldn't be that hard to repair the choke system on the stock carb, what is the little plastic thingie in question? on a cold morning it might be darn near impossible to get the motor started without a choke, you might try starting fluid. good luck, john

Back