Very Strange Issue...... Slight sputtering when head lights are on?????

JJs 88 Wrangler

I have a 88 Wrangler 4.2L. Over that past winter and spring, I put a new engine in my Jeep. Everything is running pretty good until I turn the lights on. I get a slight sputter while driving, and while idleing. Any ideas??? The rebuilt carb that I have on her is from prior to the rebuild, New distributor, fuel pump, egr valve. I was told to have her run rich until the engine breaks in. She only has about 750 miles on her now. If I try to lean her out a bit, she sputters a lot. I wiggled all the harnesses, put a wire from the Neg. on Battery to the body, with no sucess. I started to do some troubleshooting, it seems only to sputter when the head lights are on, Not the parking lights. I didn't feel anything wires or switches getting warm, nor did I see any overheated wires.

Please Help....... Thank you in advance for any input to my issue.......

are the headlights flickering and is the ammeter fluctuating? the delcotron alternator,if that's what you have on your vehicle, depends on SENSING VOLTAGE and any kind of a short anywhere on the system can lower the system voltage which results in the alternator maintaining voltage at about 1 volt above what it senses, which might result in the ignition system not getting enough steady voltage to run properly. just one possibility- john

All fixed... It turns out that the alternator had a short in it. Figures, the only part I did not change during the rebiuld. Thank You all for your input...

Back