Best lift to start with?

DeadHammer

I'm saving my pennies so I can afford to lift my 98 TJ Sport 4.0 5 spd, Ive herd body lift v.s suspension lift v.s some crazy custom stuff. What I was thinking was 1 inch of body lift and 2 to 2.5 Inches of suspension lift. So my question is which products / tricks have you guys had good luck with. I hoping with a combo like this I can fit at least a 32 inch tire. I use my jeep as my daily driver and a weekend warrior so good on road manner are important (yes I will re-gear the axles when I get the bigger tires). I'm a pretty decent wrench & welder (mig) so If you guys have any tricks you would like to share I can build my own brackets and stuff (work in a fabrication shop). Thanks in advance. p0p

For just getting into jeeping, I would recommend the combination of a 2" coil spacer and 1" body lift. This combo will allow the use of 32" and 33" tires without spending a ton of money.

The jeep can grow more later as your experience and wallet grow.

If you're going to regear anyway, why not run 33's?
We do OME/JKS hybrid packages all the time for just that purpose.
A 2.5" coil along with the 1.25" body lift is perfect for 33's- plus a 33" tire with the right wheel combo is where you get that classic tough jep look from.8)

Looks like this:
(stock on the left, hybrid package w/ 33's on the right)
image-missing.png

Very nice daily driver and very capable off-road.

Coil spacers are OK if you want to cut costs, but only if you aren't carrying heavy bumpers, winch, tire carrier, etc.
In those cases, a heavier rate coil would be a much better solution to support that extra weight.

If you install 2.5" coils can you use ones from a ZJ (i think i read that in a magazine somewhere) and what else do you have modify?

If you install 2.5" coils can you use ones from a ZJ (i think i read that in a magazine somewhere) and what else do you have modify?
That's a loaded question!
You can run a ZJ front coil, but it may or may not be the best height and spring rate for your application.

Also, keep in mind that lifting a jeep changes many things that were designed to work together from the factory.
Operating angles on control arms, trackbars, swaybars, steering linkages, driveshafts, etc will change.
Spring rates, Ratios of up & down suspension travel and bumpstop tuning needs will change and should be adjusted in accordance with your parameters. (Tire size, wheel backspacing, extra weight due to aftermarket mods and how that weight is distributed front to rear, etc, etc)

The more of these things you address, the better your jeep will ride, handle & perform. (more $)

The less of these things you address, well, you know...(Less $)

It's not as complicated as it sounds, but many off-road dealers don't seem to deal with the details much. :(

We cut a lot of corners early on for our own rigs, trying to save money.
Those choices usually came back to haunt us, and we ended up buying better quality stuff later.
Nowadays, I just prefer to get something good to start with and being happy with it.
That's much much less frustrating in the long run and cheaper than buying stuff twice!

dirk, would you be able to explain what was done to the jeep on the right please. it looks really good. any other pics of that one? some prices would be really cool too if you don't mind. thanks a lot.

dirk, would you be able to explain what was done to the jeep on the right please. it looks really good. any other pics of that one? some prices would be really cool too if you don't mind. thanks a lot.
That jeep is running our Ultimate TJ Kit- OME/Hybrid system.

You can see it on this page:
TJ & LJ OME Kits

It's running 33" MTR's on 15x8 Eagle Alloy rims with 3.25" backspacing.
I'm more partial to the Ion Alloy wheels now though.

The kits listed are our most popular, but there are still other possibilities & options that can be discussed. We can build just about any kit you can imagine.

If you go to our website, (link below in sig) there's more pics of that red TJ in the "Customers Rigs" section.

Back