dropping my transfer case...

mercab18

i installed a 2" coil spacer lift in my 97 TJ a while ago but never dropped the TC. now that my jeep is bumping, i want to do it.

i was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the spacers in a TC dropping kit. i have access to a machine shop and i plan on just making them myself. are they 1 1/2"...? 2"....? thanks for your help.

They are a 1" drop, but you shouldn't need it with a budget boost (I never have). If your jeep didn't have any problems immediately after the lift then the problem is somewhere else.

What exactly is the jeep doing?

i have a mechanic who told me that's what needs to be done. i dont think it's the thing that's causing the main problems, but it doesn't help the rear axle allignment...

are you sure it's only 1"? do you know the outside/inside dimensions too? i want to build these things as quickly as i can so i can install them.

thanks for your help.

Just use 6 aluminum pucks 1" thick, with 6 longer bolts. Or get rectangle tubing 1"x2" and make a piece for each side of the skid. Very easy.

I'd get a second opinion, if it wasn't a problem when you installed the lift then it shouldn't be a problem now.

Or listen to your mechanic and spend more time/money chasing down the real culprit.

Again, can you explain what it's doing when you say 'bumping'?

when i'm in drive and moving less than 10 MPH, i can feel bumping under my feet. it almost sounds like there's a stick under there or something, but there isn't.

i was worried that it was the transmission, but i was told by my mechanic friend that it isn't.

Look for shiny metal on the driveshaft yoke ears. If it's not shiny and worn look elsewhere for your problem.

Could be the CV joint is worn out on the front driveshaft. If you needed a TC drop you would get a steady vibe under acceleration.

Your problem lies elsewhere, I'd take it for a 2nd opinion. I'd look at it if you were close.

I did need a TC drop when I installed a 2" budget lift on my '06 TJ (which I was also told is unusual for such a small lift), but as others have said the vibration you feel when the TC drop (or SYE) is needed is constant vibration under accelleration, not really what you describe.

Back