08 JK X 4dr....locker ?

Brent McBride

I need advise on the best inexpensive locker set up.

I have dana 44 in the rear with trac-lock limited slip and dana 30 up front with with nothing.

My JK is daily driven and looking to be wheeled on the weekends. I need to keep up with ,or out do preferably, my brother in-law Toyota FJ (Fake Jeep):lol:

Ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

With it being your daily driver, your either going to have to deal with a positive locked rear all the time that will effect your street manners and tire wear or go for a more expensive selectable type.
Now being your trying to keep up with your Bro-in-laws FJ, no problems there you already have him beat, you have a solid front axle while he has IFS.

Now I think the factory Dana 44 comes with a lock-right( some one help me here), but if your looking to lock it up full time I would look into maybe getting a Detroit locker for your rear and a selectable type for the front.

I would start with a selectable locker up front, such as the Ox locker or an electric locker. This would compliment your limited slip rear very well.

Toyota brought 3 FJ's to one of our club's events, those things can wheel. They let us thrash them around the offroad park.

I am a huge fan of detroit lockers for Daily drivers, less moving parts to fail like a selectable, less tire wear than a spool.

Been beating on front and rear detroits for years and never a complaint.

edit.. Not the true tracs, have no experience with them

Also, I second that about the FJ's, we have one in our club, also we had a H3T alpha come to one of our events, pretty nasty vehicles.

I have ARB both front and rear; they are not cheap by any means, but on the street, you will not feel them at all. OX may be a lower cost option (no compressor to worry about), but I like having air on board also, so it works out for me...

Thanks for the info. :)

Being my wife drives it daily and I only get it evenings and weekends, snow driving for her would be difficult with the front axles locking in 4wheel, I have been told.

I should get a selectable locker set up.

I hope to provide much video of my upcoming battles with the FJ...

I am a huge fan of detroit lockers for Daily drivers, less moving parts to fail like a selectable, less tire wear than a spool.

Been beating on front and rear detroits for years and never a complaint.

edit.. Not the true tracs, have no experience with them

I'm not a fan, especially in a TJ. A rear Detroit is downright unnerving when it locks and unlocks. It'll often cause unwanted lane changes it's that hairy.

I run a rear spool and have no problem with tire wear. Detroits often lock in turns, if you accelerate which you often are, therefore any increase in tire wear would be the same as a spool.

There is no right answer here guys, just like the CJ,YJ, TJ,LJ argument.

I had three different type of rear type lockers one in a scout (hard locked) and two in my jeep (track lock and ARB), and so far I like the option of having an "open diff with the ARB unlocked during normal driving, and the option of locking it in the snow, but that is my own personal preference.
Each has to make there own decision here.

There is no right answer here guys, just like the CJ,YJ, TJ,LJ argument.

I had three different type of rear type lockers one in a scout (hard locked) and two in my jeep (track lock and ARB), and so far I like the option of having an "open diff with the ARB unlocked during normal driving, and the option of locking it in the snow, but that is my own personal preference.
Each has to make there own decision here.

Well put...

I'm not a fan, especially in a TJ. A rear Detroit is downright unnerving when it locks and unlocks. It'll often cause unwanted lane changes it's that hairy.

I run a rear spool and have no problem with tire wear. Detroits often lock in turns, if you accelerate which you often are, therefore any increase in tire wear would be the same as a spool.

Really, IIRC, when I first put it in the rear, ya, it took a little getting used to when shifting due to the load and unloading, but once I was used to it, really was no problem. when I was welded front and rear (same as a spool) I wore a set of 30" BFG's in about a year, mostly from turning, not really straight acceleration, but remember, the longest straight street in Boston can't be more than a 1/2 mile. I got more life out of my boggers with the detroit. but different people, different driving styles, different parts of the country really can make a difference.

Back