Transfer Case issues

scot0901

I recently rebuilt my NP231 due to a climbing incedent. After installing the new fork pads and clips and reassembling. I put it back on and now it leaks out the spline. No leaks any where else, but frothy oil comes out the center of the rear spline. What did i do wrong? I have it back off but don't see where anything is wrong. Any one have any ideas.
After this i have to drop the oil pan and replace the rear main, and then new brakes all the way around, so fun times ahead.
Oh yea this is a 90 Wrangler.

Welcome to the Z.

Do you still have the stock slipyoke or a SYE for a rear output? Did you reuse the stock mainshaft?

Could be a bad rear output seal, or a bent mainshaft. I've seen bent mainshafts and I've seen then snapped in half.

Late on the response, yes i still have the factory yoke. It would not surprise me to have the main spline bent as this happened due to the rear joint snaping and then backing back down the rocks the hanging shaft caught on a rock and shattered the rear of the transfer case. Not sure what the rear bearing seal is, if it is the seal around the spline, that is not where the leak is. It is coming through the hollow collar on the rear shaft.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why this transfer case is leaking? I thought the first time i might not have connected the oil pump entirely but it looks like i did. I need to get it back on and continue my repairs as it is finally raining here and the mud is calling.
Scot from Greenville.

Back