CJ7 vs YJ vs TJ

Who in the world would put square headlights on a Commando?! That looks disgusting!

I don't care about headlights, but that, my friends, is just wrong.

I think I puked a little, even.

The even sadder part to this story is the guy was proud of his creation, $20K proud on Craig's List.

Not to mention senseless.

But back on topic, I agree with the majority here. Get what you really want, and do that. You will feel better whether it makes the most sense or not.

Think about what you may want to add to the jeep. Things like lockers, after market tops and so on. Do they exist equally for all models? My thinking is that the TJ offers the most options. I've already stuck a locker and upgraded the rear axle on mine.

Are you serious?! Is it still there? I'm going to spam this idiot.

Here is the ad. I may have confused the price with another Commando but he now has it listed for $6,900. This is the second time I have seen it on Craig's List; he has changed the pictures so that the pour things eyeballs are at an angle at least.

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/1135355742.html

you guys are all awesome. I like the enthusiasm. I wont knock any of the makes only because i took YJ springs and put them on my CJ. This got rid of a lot of my body roll and helped me with my articulation. Reguard less you are making a great decision on your purchase. Every model has its pros and cons but i will say for the pricr you cant beat the YJ.

Get a Yj with a fuel injected eng for reliability and cheap to lift.Sounds like you like the round headlights so you can put a CJ front end on.Good luck.....

you guys are all awesome. I like the enthusiasm. I wont knock any of the makes only because i took YJ springs and put them on my CJ. This got rid of a lot of my body roll and helped me with my articulation. Reguard less you are making a great decision on your purchase. Every model has its pros and cons but i will say for the pricr you cant beat the YJ.

That is one of the nice things about the older jeeps (and Scouts), so much is interchangeable with little to no effort. For example, I have a 1978 CJ5 with an AMC 401 from a 1978 Grand Wagoneer, mated to 1977 CJ T18, a 1980 Scout Dana 300, and a Dana 44 rear end from a 1973 Commando without any aftermarket brackets/adaptors or hacking and whacking.

People love to mix it up with their Jeeps. I put YJ flares on the rear of my CJ7 they are a little wider did this years ago. Now people are putting TJ flares on them and Rubicon flares.I've got a YJ windshield frame on my CJ7.and a YJ body and cage.

I thought I would join in on this, even though I am still a newby. I just picked up an 83CJ - it does need some body work, but the engine is solid (rebuild 30K ago), and the transmission works like a charm. I have a hardtop for it, and a softtop (missing some clamps). The best story is that mechanics love to tinker with CJs and they are pretty straightforward. I use it for just banging around, so I don't care what the body looks like. the body is rough, but if you are using it for hunting a few months out of the year, I'd stick with a cheap CJ with body issues. Cover it with a tarp, and start it every few weeks. For $2-3K, its a great way to go.

I would go with a TJ because although they cost a little more to lift, they are more likely to be more reliable. You want to reduce you chances of spending valuable hunt time working on broken down Jeep. Parts are readily available for the YJ and TJ in just about any parts store. :rolleyes:

I loved my 86 CJ7 took it apart to replace the frame. But a TJ has coil springs and fuel injection and you can get one with the Rubicon package.
Is the true winner.Street /trail all around best Jeep.

Back