I have extra money, but dont know how to spend it..

freedomfly

OK,
Well I have '93 YJ 4cyl. with 206,000 miles on the stock engine. The guy that I bought it from said that he put a new clutch in it. But other than that the transmission is stock as well. The frame is a little rusty but not to bad, and the body is in good shape. It is sitting on new 31's with no lift.
I will be getting around 2K from Aflack, and would like to put money into the Jeep. It would be nice if I could lift it and mount some 33's. But at the same time I think that I want to replace the motor. What would be the best, cost efficient motor I can put in? I was thinking a 6cyl.? Can I keep the same transmission if I go with a six?
In your opinion what would be the best way to spend the money. I am really stuck. My dad is getting deployed so I have the garage to myself and I am fairly good at working with vehicles so I can do a lot of things without having to pay labor fees...
But I was just wondering what you guys think..
Thanks, Len

It would be alot cheaper to sell your 4 banger than to try to swap in a new 6.

A couple of things to think about:
- If you move up to 33" tires you'll probably need to regear your axles, or the Jeep would drive like a dog. By the time you buy a lift, tires, and new gears your $2000 would be gone.
- you'll need a new transmission behind that 6

I'd sell your Jeep, and get a 6 that you liked. You could probably find one with 33s already, and save a good bit of money.

Something like this would be cool
jeep wrangler 4X4

Or...another option is just to keep it, wheel it and get as much experience as you can untill it dies. It sounds like it's got good rubber, that coupled with the fact that it's already a jeep means great fun on any trail. Get a $20 set of sway bar disconnects for starters, then perhaps you should invest in something that can transfer over when you get your 6 banger, like a good quality winch, or winch air compressor combo, and battery and HiLift. That way, you'll get maximum form and function from what you already have; and, if and when you do get stuck, you can get yourself out and home in one piece while not worrying about wrecking an expensive Jeep. I aggree with Mason, spending any money on the actual Jeep itself still leaves you with a 4 banger with 200k.

If I kept the 4cyl. and put the 33's lift and regear into it, how much would this effect the engine's power..
Also my uncle is a mechanic so when the 4 blows we could rebiuld it. Is that a realistic option, or am i just dreaming??

Last edited:

alot of guys here have 4 cylinders and like them. They are good engines. Your 4 with 33s with likely feel slower than it did with 31s. If it's "too slow" is really up to you. Here's another option - look on craig's list for some used 33's, preferably already on rims. That way you could just swap them on and give it a try. You may feel that the engine is fine, even without regearing.

You'll have to be careful when you go offroading though. I've heard that 33's are about the size where you start breaking axles (if you really get on it).

As for a lift - You could put a 1 inch body lift, some 1 inch longer shackles, and trim your fenders, and not have to invest in a suspension lift. This would cost you < $200

I think that I am going to go with your idea Terry.
As a side note I have started to build my in-seat sub using your how to... it is so helpful.. it should be done by next weekend..
Thanks again, Len

Back