Curious...

94YJGUY

Anybody have any idea what the maximum safe speed would be while engaged in 4-wheel high? I don't remember ever seeing any information on this subject.

Thanks in advance

I believe up to 30 mph,but I am not 100% sure.I always stop and put it neutral so I never really tried.

I found this on some other sites,not sure if it is reliable

You can shift into 4WD at any safe speed, but why would you consider
shifting into 4WD at 50? If you can do 50, you don't need 4WD.

This came from Chrysler web site

Can I shift into 4WD High Range at any speed?

Shifting into 4WD High Range can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. If the vehicle is in motion, shifts can be made up to 55 mph (88km/h).

Jeep - 4x4 Basics - Engineering FAQs - 4WD SUVs

I think the most I have ever done in 4hi was 30 but not for long. Sounds about right what you posted xt. 4hi in motion and stopped in neutral for 4lo. This is in my TJ of course so a YJ may be different, I have no idea.

I never shifted into 4-hi while the jeep was moving. I always stop before shifting to 4 any 4 wheel drive.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it ok to drive in 4-hi at 50mph on snowy highway roads.

"If the vehicle is in motion, shifts can be made up to 55 mph", "You should not go faster than road conditions permit."

I was looking at this from a traction on snow covered roads outlook. Obviously if all 4 wheels are under power it will have less tendacy to spin out, or fishtail.

Great info xtmaster...thanks

Yes this is my first winter with my jeep and 2wd is useless with the light weight back end slides really easy.i have used my 4wd with the roads covered with snow and no problems except for stopping.So dont get over confident and get going to fast.

Snow covered roads... 50 miles an hour... sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Better to slow down and enjoy the scenery in my estimation.

the fasted i ever shifted into 4hi was 15-20mph and you can do 55-60 in 4hi but remember you have to stop at some point or at least slow down.

The road wasn't completely covered per say...there were lanes where cars had driven, if it wasn't safe I would have slowed down. But thanks for the info guys.

i was a little skeptical at first but tried it and shoo enuff

Back