Cool!!!....Jeep Diagnostic Codes without reader!!!

RayOvac

I have wished that there was a way to get a code reader for my 95YJ so I could check it from time to time. I bought one for my old Chevy truck and it plugged in under the dash and then you turned on the key and it would flash out the codes. One of my friends found out how to read the codes without a reader...note we have only tested this on our 95YJ's....both have the 2.5L but his is an auto...and mine was a standard when it had a transmission in it. My friend found out his O2 sensor was bad...he couldn't figure out how come his engine was running poorly and getting bad gas mileage. I looked it up on the net and found some more info...anyway here are the codes.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on,

off, on, off, on. (On is not start!)

The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes

Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be

FLASH FLASH---FLASH FLASH FLASH

It will never flash more than 9 times, watch for pauses!

55 is end of codes, 33 is normal if you dont have air conditioning.

Please note that some codes are NOT included below, this

is not a complete listing, but it IS very close to complete.

88 Start of test (This only appears on DRBII, it's not blinked out)

11 No ignition reference signal detected during cranking (bad hall

effect)

OR timing belt skipped one or more teeth; or intermittent

loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor

12 Memory Standby power lost (battery cable disconnected)

13* No change in MAP from start to run

14* MAP sensor circuit open or shorted; voltage too low

15 No speed/distance sensor signal

16* Loss of battery voltage detected with engine running

17 Engine stays cold too long (bad thermostat)

21 Oxygen sensor signal out of range, possibly shorted

22* Coolant sensor signal out of range (or disconnected to set timing)

23 Intake air temperature signal out of range

24* Throttle position circuit out of range

25 Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor driver circuit shorted

or target idle not reached, vacuum leak found

26 Peak injector circuit voltage has not been reached

27 Logic module fuel circuit internal problem

OR

27 TBI injector does not respond properly to control signal

31 Evaporator Purge solenoid circuit open or shorted OR

Evaparator solenoid circuit

32 EGR system failure OR

Power loss lamp open or shorted

33 Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted

34 Speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits open or shorted

35 Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted

36 Wastegate control circuit open or shorted

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed (blown bulb) OR

Park/neutral switch failure

OR

37 Torque converter unlock circuit open or shorted, A-413 4-speed auto

41* Alternator field control circuit open or shorted

42 Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted

42 Fuel pump relay control circuit

42 Fuel level unit - no change over miles

OR

42 Z1 voltage missing when autoshutdown circuit energized (whatever

that means)

43 Peak primary coil current not achieved with max dwell time

OR

43 Cylinder misfire

43 Problem in power module to logic module interface

44 No FJ2 voltage present at logic board

OR

44 Logic module self-diagnostics indicate problem

OR

44 Battery temperature out of range (see Note #1!)

45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)

46* Battery voltage too high during charging or charging system

voltage too low

47 Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low

51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position

OR

51 Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

52 Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position

OR

52 Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

53 Logic module internal problem

54 No sync pickup signal during engine rotation (turbo only)

OR

54 Internal logic module fault ('84 turbo only)

55 End of codes

61 "Baro" sensor open or shorted

62 EMR mileage cannot be stored in EEPROM

62 PCM failure SRI mile not stored

63 Controller cannot write to EEPROM

64 Catalytic converter efficiency failure

65 Power steering switch failure

Copied from BC4x4.com

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

On my jeep the codes I got were 12, 33, and 55.

12 means you have recently unhooked your battery....mine had been unhooked till I tried the code thing.

33 means a problem with the A/C...this code will always pop up if you don't have A/C, which I don't

55 is the end of the codes...if all is well this is the only code you will get.

Just thought this was a cool thing....you other guys out there give this a try and tell me if it works on your YJ...I dunno about how the TJ system works...it may be different.

[addsig]

Yes it will work. Chrysler did this with many of their cars & trucks starting back in the 80's. Not sure just when but I can do it with my 86 Chrysler Laser. I also know that sometime in the late 90's that they changed a few cars to 4 key cycles instead of 3. And as of 2000 they have discontinued this altogether. Could be wrong on that but it wouldn't work in my 2000 Neon. Anyway it is nice not to have to have a code scanner to give you a basic idea of what my be wrong leave it to Daimler to screw up a good thing
image-missing.png
[addsig]

My '97 shows the code in the odometer but my buddies '97 doesn't it just flashes... Dunno why[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>My '97 shows the code in the odometer but my buddies '97 doesn't it just flashes... Dunno why</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh forgot about that yes some vehicles with a digital odometer will display the codes there. As for why yours doensn't and your buddies does??? Not sure.....Maybe it was a change midway through the model year and some of them flash the check engine light and others show the codes on the odometer?? Maybe someone else around here could say for sure[addsig]

haha... its a jeep thing... its not meant to be understood.. or something like that[addsig]

When I had my Firebird, all I had to do was plug in a little key into the port. Can I still do that with my Jeep? Or do I have to get some stupid code reader.[addsig]

For the newer Jeeps with a digital odometer, try this:

With ignition off, push and hold the trip reset button on the odometer.

Turn the ignition to run, then back off. Trouble code should be displayed in the odometer.[addsig]

I have a 98 TJ and am DYING to figure out how to do this. I heard to do the on-off, on- off, on trick and than watch the odometer and the engine light but this doesnt work. All I get is my regular mileage and the light doesnt flash ( the last step leaves the jeep on, so why wouldnt the mileage show?).

I also tried pushing and holding the trip reset button and than turning the ignition on and off. For this I got a 2.4 What the hell does this mean? I checked and its not the trip mileage.....please help [addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

I also tried pushing and holding the trip reset button and than turning the ignition on and off. For this I got a 2.4 What the hell does this mean? I checked and its not the trip mileage.....please help </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You got it right
image-missing.png
24 is:

¤ Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage.

¤ TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor[addsig]

Thanks Bounty, I figured as much, but I didnt end up getting the 55 like it said I would to tell me the end of all codes, or any other thing like that.

So now that I know my ¤ Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. and my ¤ TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor, how do I figure out what this is in English and go about fixing it?

[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hey Bounty... how can you check a '93 YJ?
image-missing.png

its simple

first do the 3 key cycles

key on

key off

key on

key off

key on and leave on

After a few seconds the check engine light should begin to flash count the flashes and there be your codes should end with a code of 55 so you know when its done[addsig]

no way to do this on a cj i bet...i mean i don't even have a check engine light....but is there ANY way to check these old onboard computers???...[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>no way to do this on a cj i bet...i mean i don't even have a check engine light....but is there ANY way to check these old onboard computers???...</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure if there is anything that can be done with those. I know in the early days of engine computers the brain boxes so to speak I believe many were just throw away items[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>So now that I know my ¤ Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage. and my ¤ TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor, how do I figure out what this is in English and go about fixing it?

Just replace the TPS. First, make sure it is tight on the TB, and make sure the CPS is tight on the bellhousing. A friend of mine got the same code and it was a loose CPS.[addsig]

I tried this on my 97 TJ and nothing seemed to happen. Well, not nothing exactly. I was holding the trip gauge reset in and when I turned the key on, the odometer blinked all ones, all twos, threes, etc, etc, and my gauges moved all the way up in increments and then all the way back down in increments. It was almost like I ran a self-diagnostic on my dash. At least I know that all my gauges work...I guess. Anyway, when I turned the key back off, there was no code displayed in the odometer. Do I have to turn the key off faster or something? Because that little display that my dash put on took like 30 seconds to complete or something. Or does the other method work maybe on the older TJs? I might try that over lunch today. [addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I tried this on my 97 TJ and nothing seemed to happen. Well, not nothing exactly. I was holding the trip gauge reset in and when I turned the key on, the odometer blinked all ones, all twos, threes, etc, etc, and my gauges moved all the way up in increments and then all the way back down in increments. It was almost like I ran a self-diagnostic on my dash. At least I know that all my gauges work...I guess. Anyway, when I turned the key back off, there was no code displayed in the odometer. Do I have to turn the key off faster or something? Because that little display that my dash put on took like 30 seconds to complete or something. Or does the other method work maybe on the older TJs? I might try that over lunch today. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I know my 2000 Neon is that way. If you hold in the trip reset when you turn on the ignition it does a test of all lights a guages in the dash.[addsig]

This works great on my 91 YJ .... I have my 'reqd maint' light on and thought I would see what it was ..... well, i only got code 5-5 (end of codes) So what's up with that?

Craig[addsig]

Back