alternative tire size for 2005 wrangler unlimited

trooperjet

Just bought my first Jeep and want to put bigger tires on it, but not lift it. Stock are 30x9.5. I was wondering if anyone put bigger ones on and had any issues. I was thinking of 265x75 15's. Suggestions???

The main question is, what are you going to do with the Jeep - are you going to stay on the highway, or do some offroading.

I had 31st on mine (05 as well), and it did fine on the road, and was able to wheel pretty well offroad, but the tires were a bit too big (they will stuff up in the wheel wells, and eventually take off your fender flares).

I'd say if you are never going offroad, then you could probably do a 32" tire. If you are going offroad, then 30 will probably be it.

You should look into a 2" spacer lift (if you change your mind). It's pretty much just a spacer, or shim that lifts your Jeep up a bit, but doesn't change the way it rides, or the stock suspension.

I had 31s on mine before I put the two inch lift and didn't have any rubbing. I even did some light off roading.

thanks for the info. I would say that I should do the 2" lift and 31x10.5's. Then I should be good to go no matter what.

2" spacer lift with new shocks is around $250 to $350 on average.I have been looking at alot of them and will be putting one on myself in the spring,Too cold outside to put a lift.

you can, and I use this loosly, fit a 33x10.5 tire on a stock tj with stock wheels with out a rear stretch just add wheel spacers to keep the tire off the LCA. if you stretch the rear out 2 inches with adjustable control arms, you can fit 35's I would recommend new wheels for this size tire though unless you go with 34" LTB's or Swaper Special service tires which are only like 8-9 inches wide. But they are misserable for street driving.

Back