Heater Problem

purifoy4

2000 Jeep Wrangler

Heater blows cold at idle, gets somewhat warm while driving. Changed thermostat, but didn't help. Outside in engine area hoses to heater core aren't warming up. Any ideas? Thanks!

Try removing both heater hoses from the engine side. Hold the water hose on one end and run the water through the heater core. take note of what comes out and how restricted the flow through the heater core. If a rusty color antifreeze comes out , keep repeating the process till the water clears. this usually works 99% of the time.

I took both hoses loose and did as u said just did it one way not sure of the direction of flow or if it makes a diff clear water ran out cranked it up let sit for a while then drove it around town still blowing cold if the direction matters will have to retry tommorow ITS GETTING COLD OUT THERE Thanks

What temp is your stat?

Is the engine getting hot enough to blow hot air?

I know we are having some really cold weather atm and something as simple as a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator helps me a lot.

Also make sure you Purge the air out of the Cooling system.

I asked autozone what the factory stat was and they said 192 im assuming they give me a 195 stat ,engine temp gauge reads 210 if the cardboard works for u ill sure try it THANKS

Maybe you've already done this but what about checking the heater hoses themselves for blockage? take them off and see if water runs through?

With the engine still cold, remove the radiator cap. fill the radiator as nescessary. start the engine and keep watch of the water level on the radiator. Keep your hands clear of any moving parts of the engine ,Squeeze the radiator hose gently to help push some air pocket out the radiator filler neck. refill the radiator as you see the coolant level go down. also try to squeeze the heater core hoses and try to push the air pockets out. and don't forget to fill the reservoir bottle to the max level.

Could this be a problem with the controls to the heater? Don't know just throwing it out there.

Good point, however, he mentioned that the heater hoses under the hood is not warming up. so i'm led to beleive that there is a circulation issue rather than a control concern.

went though all the positions on controls every thing seemed fine tried the cardboard i believe there is some sort of circulation prob also maybe tomorrow i can check it better still open for any ideals thanks

Possible bad water pump?

If the hose is not even heating up and you flushed the system,may be time for a new pump.

Test all the Mode Settings on your HVAC controls. if any of the modes are inop. then you might have a loose vac. line or an issue with the door in question.

OK heres what i came up with---checked all controls inside every thing checked out good --i pulled heater hoses completly off no blockage --with hoses off cranked it up to see if any water was coming out,when stat heated up a little water came from stat neck a pretty good stream came from engine block so i extended a hose from block and let it run for a bit hot water came out but only in a small stream -- so i hooked the bottom heater core hose back up to see if i was getting water through the core --no water came out of core --hooked water hose up to core rusty water came out ,so i ran it till it was clear --good water flow now --hooked everything back up filled her up with water let run for awhile ---STILL NO HEAT!!

I'm thinking if you have rusty water come out of the heatercore, then the same would be for the Radiator. i would say that there's a circulation issue in the cooling system. flushing the whole cooling system will probabbly help.

Back