New to Jeeps, can you help?

PACOP648

Hey guys, I am the proud owner of a 2005 Wrangler TJ 4 cyl in line 6. The Jeep has stock tires on 15 inch rims, and I want to put bigger tires on. The ires I have on now are stock, but I want to put 31's on. I dont do any offroading, i just want a good looking tire on my stock rim. Any advice for a new guy? Thanks

I think they fit stock. I would assume they may rub when wheeling. I don't know, though, since I don't have a Wrangler. 8)

Not that it matters for your question, but you either have a 4 cyl or an in line 6--not both. There are a zillion threads on here regarding the basic question of "will these tires fit?". I'd suggest researching the forums a little. I don't know much about TJ suspensions, so I'll leave that to others. My guess is that a budget boost lift--essentially inserts that go behind your springs--will serve your needs. Tires will be a matter of personal choice, but you should give some consideration to what your needs actually are. For a highway-only vehicle, a highway-only tire will give you the best wear and handling. However, a highway tire on a Jeep just doesn't look right. I'd go with an all-terrain, at least.

Also, depending upon what size your current tires are, an increase in tire diameter can affect (a) your available power and (b) your speedometer reading. There are again many threads on these topics, but be aware that the issues exist.

I know, Im sorry, Its a 6 speed 4 cyl, to quote Joe Dirt "Im new!" hehe. I was just wondering if I have a 9.5 rim will a 10.5 fit? Im so lost. Ill research the threads as well, Thanks!

I know, Im sorry, Its a 6 speed 4 cyl, to quote Joe Dirt "Im new!" hehe. I was just wondering if I have a 9.5 rim will a 10.5 fit? Im so lost. Ill research the threads as well, Thanks!

they should fit with no problem you may get some rubbing at wheel lock but other than that no. i personally have 35's on a 2 inch and have no problems except for rubbing at wheel lock, and yeah they will fit on the rims i have 12.50 tires on a ford 8 inch wheel ha

a 2inch body lifted would clear 31s perfect in still wont make the body look to high off the frame and you can go to ebay motors in get one for like 130.00 with shipn or a little cheaper so if u go with a body lift dont bye it from any wer else except ebay motors cus they will want 250.00 or more

a 2inch body lifted would clear 31s perfect in still wont make the body look to high off the frame and you can go to ebay motors in get one for like 130.00 with shipn or a little cheaper so if u go with a body lift dont bye it from any wer else except ebay motors cus they will want 250.00 or more

a 2 inch body lift will clear 35's lol i would know

I would go with a two inch bb (coil spring spacer). You can buy one of these kit for relatively cheap probably no more then a body lift. Also you shouldn't need anything else but the spacers maybe shocks.

a 2 inch body lift will clear 35's lol i would know

i had a 2inch on my yj in it barely cleard 32s so i would like to see your jeep if it still has 2inch body lift with 35s

I would go with a two inch bb (coil spring spacer). You can buy one of these kit for relatively cheap probably no more then a body lift. Also you shouldn't need anything else but the spacers maybe shocks.

u have to know what your doing when u put coil spacers on cus u can get extremely hurt

I'd go with the spring spacer (BB) lift over a body lift. I have a 98 and a 97 (just bought the 97 today!!)

My 98 TJ has a 2" spring spacer lift and 1.25" body lift with 1" motor mount lift. I did the spring spacer lift first and ran 31's with no problem at all. (well, rubbed a little at full wheel lock, but added 2 washers on each side and fixed that). About a year later, I added 1.25"BL and 1"MM spacers, now I clear 33x12.5's with no problems at all and no rubbing.

The spring spacer lift was really simple, and I had never done anything like that before. I did have a buddy help me and we used a nice lift at a friend's shop, but it all went together smoothly and took us maybe 4 hours and that includes a bunch of horsing around. We didn't need to use the spring compressers that I hear horror stories about, just let the exles droop enough to pry the springs off and back on. Don't forget to get longer shocks too!

I'd go with the spring spacer (BB) lift over a body lift. I have a 98 and a 97 (just bought the 97 today!!)

My 98 TJ has a 2" spring spacer lift and 1.25" body lift with 1" motor mount lift. I did the spring spacer lift first and ran 31's with no problem at all. (well, rubbed a little at full wheel lock, but added 2 washers on each side and fixed that). About a year later, I added 1.25"BL and 1"MM spacers, now I clear 33x12.5's with no problems at all and no rubbing.

The spring spacer lift was really simple, and I had never done anything like that before. I did have a buddy help me and we used a nice lift at a friend's shop, but it all went together smoothly and took us maybe 4 hours and that includes a bunch of horsing around. We didn't need to use the spring compressers that I hear horror stories about, just let the exles droop enough to pry the springs off and back on. Don't forget to get longer shocks too!

its pretty hard to do a spacer lift if u dont have a car lift so u can take all the presure of the springs me n my budy did it on his 04 tj on the ground with out a spring compreser in it wasnt that easy

i had a 2inch on my yj in it barely cleard 32s so i would like to see your jeep if it still has 2inch body lift with 35s

i do i posted a thread about it heres a pic and it does fine in the mud and plus TJ's are a little taller stock than YJ's

Attachments

• 1225081014a.jpg
    1225081014a.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 134
its pretty hard to do a spacer lift if u dont have a car lift so u can take all the presure of the springs me n my budy did it on his 04 tj on the ground with out a spring compreser in it wasnt that easy

Terry did a write up on installing a 2" lift and I followed his instructions to install mine. Pretty easy really. I think it took about 3 hours total and you don't need a car lift.

31"s will fit no problem without a lift for your usage.

Last edited:
It's a lot more safe to lift the body and frame with Jacks to uncompress the springs than to use a Spring Compressor.

Back