Swap ???

Thats y j

So I just got a 94 yj with the 2.5 and An automatic it's great off road in 4 wd but lacks power in 2wd so here is my ? I have several motors and transmissions I have a grand Cherokee 2wd with the 4.0 and AT , a 86 chevy blazer S-10 4x4 with the 2.8 v6 5 speed , 96 gmc jimmy 2wd 4.3 with AT , a 93 4.3 v6 with 5 speed out of a 93 silverado , a 97 tuned port 350 with a 4l60e AT so I have options what should I do planing the swap for mid April I'm thinking I want to keep it as simple as posible so I'm leaning toward the 4.0 or the 2.8 what do you guys think? Also does anyone know if the 2.5 transmission will bolt to the 4.0 or atleast will the transfer case from the 2.5 bolt to the 4.0 auto transmission? Thanks for any tips as I'm new to the jeep comunity.

It will cost you almost as much as actually buying a Jeep with the 4.0 in it. Its not very cost effective.

By the way, please punctuate your sentences. Welcome to the Z.

Either the vortec 4.3 or the vortec 5.7, everything else is simply not worth the money. the 2.8 is a junk motor, thats why a number of people swap them for 3.8 or 4.3. the non-votec 4.3 is a good motor, but the vortec motor has a proven durability over it's predicesor.

No matter what you choose, your looking at a Transmission swap as well as a main shaft swap in the Tcase at best.

If it were me, I would put the 4.3 and 4l60E in with the stock np231 from the jeep with the swapped main shaft. you should not need any adapters since the 4.3 blazers had np 231's stock.

Welcome to the Z.

Forget the 2.8, its worse than the 2.5 when it comes to power and reliability.

Forget the 4.0, not as easy nor as inexpensive a swap as most think. You have to cut the motor mount perches off and fab new ones, new harness & ECM, etc., all to end up with a run of the mill 4.0 jeep with a hacked up install.

Go with the 4.3 or 5.7, both great engines, just be sure to use the GM transmission and transfer case already attached so you don't drop a bundle on adapters.

Back