TJ with lighting issues

bourbon cowboy

I have a 2001 TJ. The other day the front left turn signal went out,and then I noticed that there were not any dash lights. The typical lights come on,but no speedo,tach,or fuel lights. I replaced the flasher bulb and that didn't work.I noticed that the socket for the flasher bulb looked fried. The bulb wasn't burnt out either the base of it also looked fried. There are no taillights as well,this I found out while driving. The brake,reverse,and rear flashers work though. Any help out there?

Check all fuses, if good then Wiggle the Hazard, multifunction switch while monitoring the lamps. if they flicker or intermittently works, replace the multifunction switch.

just had the same problem today, clean the plugs between the wires and light socket (may take a few times) also the dash indicator may flash fast or freeze on,as mine did!simple short sercuit hopfully.good luck

Hey there,
I just joined this forum because of you guys. Hope we can find the fix for this.
2 days ago, mine did the exact same thins. Left blinker stopped flashing, (stayed solid) when my head lights were on (only) then just lost all of my tail lights and dash light yesterday, but my blinkers work great now.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on with this thing. Misery loves company and glad to know i'm not the only one witht his trouble.

did either of you guys find the fix for this? I'm going out the check all fuses now. (1st thing i did was went out and bought bulbs.. thinking it was just a blinker light out.. not the case)

what and where is this mulitifunction switch?

Thanks for your help,
Jason

Hey there,
I just joined this forum because of you guys. Hope we can find the fix for this.
2 days ago, mine did the exact same thins. Left blinker stopped flashing, (stayed solid) when my head lights were on (only) then just lost all of my tail lights and dash light yesterday, but my blinkers work great now.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on with this thing. Misery loves company and glad to know i'm not the only one witht his trouble.

did either of you guys find the fix for this? I'm going out the check all fuses now. (1st thing i did was went out and bought bulbs.. thinking it was just a blinker light out.. not the case)

what and where is this mulitifunction switch?

Thanks for your help,
Jason

Try to wiggle the Hazard switch on top of your steering column when the issue is evident. See if it intermittently would let the turn signal flash with the left blinker on hazard off and key on. If it does intermittently work, Replace the turn signal switch(multifunction switch)..

Hey thanks a lot SteelHeadz. You nailed it Spot on!. so i just ordered the switch.. next is to figure out how hard it is to replace it, or do the evil deed and visit the dealership.

Again thanks for your time.

Hey thanks a lot SteelHeadz. You nailed it Spot on!. so i just ordered the switch.. next is to figure out how hard it is to replace it, or do the evil deed and visit the dealership.

Again thanks for your time.

It's easy to replace the switch. Remove the Upper and lower steering column covers. I beleive there's 2 or 3 phillips screws on the bottom cover. After you remove the covers, the multifunction switch will be exposed for service. Remove the screws that holds the Multifunction switch assembly and disconnect the wiring connector then replace the switch.

Good call on the switch. Many thanks.
Downfall is I still have a short some where. Turn the lights on and the flashers come on. Pretty sure I'm out of my league on this one. Not sure if it's the uhaul box from the hitch, maybe my over head lights ( granted they are direct to battery) and then I have a subwoofer coming off the back of the aftermarket pioneer in the dash..buy again not sure if they would really have anything to do with the lights.
So throwing in the towel to torment a shop with this one.

Thanks again for your help.

If you have reason to beleive that the trailer harness is causing a short, disconnect it and see if it fixes the problem.

Back