Bed Liner On the Exterior?

Boze

Hello there,
A guy I knew several years ago rebuilt a CJ-7 and decided to hit the outside with a do-it-yourself spray on bed-liner. Although I don't remember the exact brand, I know it was a quality one, (Rhino, Line-x, something of that nature). I have since lost contact with him but was wondering how the liner held up. He hadn't done anything more than some mild trails while I knew him. Though it seemed to handle tough brush without scratching, I noticed it seemed to require some extra elbow grease to get all the dust and juck out of the little crevices. (but Jeeps are suposed to be dirty, right?) My main question is regarding the flex of the liner. If you were to articulate too much would that stuff crack and flake off your body, or does it have some flex to it? I would like to know if it's worth it before I hit my YJ with it. Thanks.

The Rhino lining is rubbery and I would think it would flex around. I've never used it, so maybe someone else has more info.

Rhino loner flexes.I used it in a pick up I had in the bed.I threw all kind of junk back there.At one point or another i received several nice size dents in the bed from dropping things and it never cracked or peeled.

go with rhino I use that to undercoat everything I buy because it will not wear off and it takes a solid beating mud salt sand I don't do rocks because everything breaks on rocks lol

there is an actual paint that you can roll on the jeep that is like this, i forget what it is called but i have a friend who ran through a brush wall with out a scratch...

I will see if i can get a name

i have the bed-liner on my hood. it looks sweet as hell the way i have it applied and i no longer get tree rash on it. it is pretty durable stuff.

Boze, I have both Dupi-color spray on bed liner (Rocker Knockers), and Rino-liner roll on liner on my bumpers.
The Rocker Knockers have been subjected to 3 years worth of out-door use here in Utah and the Bumpers are going through there first.
So far both have held up perfectly though after three years I have a little fading in the rocker knockers.
I have to say I had to touch up both the rocker knockers and the bumpers from rock rash and the Rino-liner has matched up much better than the the spray on Dupi-color.

Hey Boze,

I saw a little 'Yota 4WD pickup from Texas that was totally covered with bedliner. It looked to be off roaded quite a bit and had held up fairly well. I didn't see any peeling or cracking. Overall I thought it looked kinda nice. I would think that if you prepped it well it should last fairly long. Best of luck - John

Well, that's good to hear. Sounds like Rhino is the way to go. I just thought if it worked that well you would see more people running it.

I have also heard that the colored rhino doesn't hold up as well as the regular old black stuff. Is there any truth to that?

Also, for those of you who have done it: Is it hard to roll that stuff on evenly? I'm imaging a gooey mess of crud oozing around and dripping off my Jeep untill it sets up.

The colored product does fade pretty bad. I saw a pickup with a red liner that fades to a light pink. It is pretty viscous and shouldn't sag or drip. Iam going to do it to my interior floor but i don't know witch product i am going to use yet.

Man, i was planning to do my interior and never thought to do the outside!Great idea,thanx man:)

Boze, the process is pretty easy, and they do make a clean up solution ( I think its acetone). When you get the can they tell you to shake/stir the can completely, but if you just stir it not getting the bigger chunks stirred in from the bottom of the can its not as thick and chunky as you roll it on.
I used disposable try liners and a 4 inch wide disposable nappy roller from home depot and several cheap brushes to do the job. Rubber gloves and a throw away long sleeve shirt or you will be wearing the liner for a few days.
You will need to mask off any painted part you don't want rino-lined with good masking tape, not the cheap blue painters tape and remove it as soon as you got each coat done, then re mask before applying the second coat.

Man, i was planning to do my interior and never thought to do the outside!Great idea,thanx man:)

Ya, I was thinking about lining the interior also. I've heard of people lining the inside of their trunks for their subs, like sound deadening material. Maybe lining the inside of your jeep would help deaden some road noise.

Anybody ever heard about Grizzly Liner? I was doing some resource on witch produce would be the best to use and found this manufacture.

Duraback looks pretty decent...90 bucks a gallon though. how many gallons would it take to do the tub and and the outside in two coats?

Has anybody had ther floors line x at a dealer? What was the cost? Is it worth the extra money to just have it done at a deale other then DIY? I have been going back and forth on wether i want to do it myself or take it to the local LineX shop.

I used plastikote on mine... Its cheap and it comes from walmart, and as long as you scuff it up good, then it doesnt come off... My whole jeep is covered in it and it looks really good, and covers up rust really well... I think it runs about $40/gal and you can also get it in a spray can for touch up.

That is the same stuff I used for mine. I originally bought it to put on my boat trailer. Had some left over so I pust some on the inside. as well as on the inside of the tailgate and the rear bumper after I welded on some endcaps to replace the plastic bumperettes. Later on I'll probably put another coat or 3 on, but for now it works perfectly fine. Way better than carpet for my needs.

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

Hey mrkltj. I got mine professionally sprayed at a local line-x store. It ran ran around $400. Not bad to me because the quality is really good, it's very durable and stout. Have had no problems with cracks or flaking and it's been close to three years old with honestly no signs of wear. :D

Rino Liner is what I used on my 04 TJ, did the entire interior tub and fender wells when I purchased it new. Looks great and has held up great.

Back