no 4 wheel drive

87jeepwrangler

hello all i just need some advice on four wheel drive mine is not working my grandfather says it was working but it not working anymore the vacume line was broken i fixed it my jeep is a 1987 jeep wrangler please give me some information on what would cause this what and where on the jeep thanks joe

Place the Jeep axles on a Jackstand on all 4 corners. remove the front axle actuator from the axle. start the Engine and move the 4wd shifter to 2wd and 4wd back and forth, with an assistant, watch the actuator for movement..if its not moving the fork, check the vac. switch on the t.case. make sure there is vac. supplied to the switch from the engine. if there is, remove the actuator from the vacuum line on the axle and connect it straight to the known good source of vac. without any switches. see if it actuates, if it does move, the switch is more likely to be at fault..

thanks but i have one problem i dont have a garage and no jack stands im kinda limited on tools is there any other way to find the prob besides that sorry but thanks for the answer

If thats the case, just remove the Actuator from the axle and hook up a known good source of vac. from the engine and monitor the shift fork for movement. if it does not move at all then the actuator is at fault, if it does move, then check the vac. lines to the T.Case switch and check the switch.

Back