Is this going to work?(front bumper with winch)

91renegadeyj

ok so i have a 91' Renegade and i am looking at getting a winch but i have an aftermarket front bumper and i think i have seen that it does not work with a winch but can i make it work with a winch? here is a pic of the bumper on my jeep.and yes i plan on taking the lights off the bumper.
image-missing.png

Your gonn'a need a Winch Plate with a Fairlead roller bracket and drill the mounting holes.

11.5 wide X 4.5 Tall (in.) you can answer that question after you measure that opening on your bumper.. Thats the measurement off my fairlead on my Jeep.

the opening is big enough but that is not what i'm worried about the middle tube circled in blue in pic sticks up 2" from the frame rails and i am worried about it interfering with the winch plate/ fairlead roller. here is a better image of bumper
image-missing.png

Ahh i see said the blind man..that's easy. if it interferes with the fairlead roller, you should be able to raise the fairlead enough to clear and re-drill the mounting holes..you might also need to put a spacer under the winch plate as well..

thanks for the help i just didn't want to start chopping up the bumper and a new bumper isn't really in my budget for the winch, winch plate, and tires

That bumper isnt designed for all of the stress of a winch.

:shock:
isn't that what the winch plate was for.?.
Wait up here!! Jason has a Valid Point.. are you going to bolt up the winch plate on the bumper or the frame?, i was under the impression that you were mounting the winch plate on the frame behind the bumper.:shock:

i am mounting the bumper to the frame behind the bumper. sorry i haven't been a member on a forum in a while i have to get back into the swing of things. i forgot how confusing things can get.

Yep I've seen a few jeeps with that same bumper and a winch back in there. Like steelheadz said you might have to either raise up the fairlead or make a spacer under the winch

yeah i figure that if i can't raise the fairlead enough i will make some spacers out of hockey pucks.
Hockey Pucks?:shock: I'd rather use a stack of steel washers than Hockey Pucks, if that shatters under pressure then your bolts wil get all Pucked up.:lol::lol::lol: and you will end up :cry::cry: cause you didn't give it enough thought. yeah! that was a bad joke:deadhorse:......

They do make that same bumper that has a winch capability.Only difference is the bar you circled is not on the winch version.You could cut that section out and weld some caps over the hole.Looking at the pic it does not look like you really would have to rasie it up that much if you did not want to cut the bar.

image-missing.png

Back